• Register
  • Help

Topic: Christmas Album Liner Notes in progress

Share/Bookmark

Christmas Album Liner Notes in progress

I'm contacting each of the 18 composers in order to write liner notes, which will soon be posted alongside the album for you to download.

However, at this writing I have not heard from the following people:

Sean Hannifin
    David Maddux
    Jon Raybould
    Fabio Vicentini
    Matej Hrovat
    Jerry Wickham
    Edward J Fiebke Jr.
    Jim Hammer

If you don't contact me, you will have no input into what will be written about your piece! I very much want to hear from you because I want to tell your story.

Please answer the following in an email sent to wheat@wheatwilliams.com immediately:

Dear Garritan Christmas Album Composer:

Under Gary Garritan’s direction, I am writing liner notes to accompany the Garritan Christmas 2006 album. I am a listener and a fan, in addition to being a music journalist. I would like to present information about you and your compositions so that the people that download the albums can learn more about you and your work.

Please reply with the following information:

How would you like your name to appear?

Where do you live? (City, state, country)

Are you a professional composer or arranger? Are you an amateur? What are your notable accomplishments? (please be brief)

What is the full name of your piece, in English? Does it have another name in its original language?

If your piece is based on a traditional or public domain work, do you know the name of the original composer, his or her nationality, and the year that the original was written? What is the language of the original lyrics?

If your piece is a contemporary composition NOT based on a traditional or public domain work, are you the composer? How should I list the copyright or attribution?

What can you tell me about the recording or sequencing of each of your pieces on the GPO Christmas albums? Did you do all the work alone, or were other people involved? Are their any real acoustic instrumental performances in this recording, or is it all samples? Can you tell me specific information about the Garritan products you used in this piece? How about other products? (computer platform, sequencer, plug-ins, software synthesizers or samplers, notation programs, or other software or hardware products).

Is there anything else you would like us to know?

Thank you very much for your participation.

Sincerely,

Wheat Williams
    wheat@wheatwilliams.com
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: Christmas Album Liner Notes in progress

I just sent you an email... sorry about the delay. Thanks for doing the liner notes again!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I just sent you an email... sorry about the delay. Thanks for doing the liner notes again!
    It's my pleasure.

There's no actual deadline here, but the songs are already posted and doubtless people are already downloading the album. The sooner I get the liner notes done, the more people who go to the Web site will be able to read them.

I'm planning on submitting my liner notes to Gary Garritan on Monday.

Initially I was going to set the liner notes up as a Wiki so that composers could go in and edit their own entries. But Gary wasn't convinced that was a good idea. I've just never done a Wiki before so I thought it might be a worthwhile experiment.

Also, guys and gals, remember that my liner notes are nothing but the opinion of one armchair music critic, and I do intend to use a little gentle humor and sarcasm to keep it interesting. Please don't be upset by anything in the liner notes and above all don't take anything personally. I'm just trying to write something that will increase the listeners' appreciation for what they are hearing. To all the composers: Of course your music is good, and you are a good composer. Your piece would not have been included in this compilation if it was not good!

As a non-composer myself, I consider it an honor to be able to work with you guys in this limited little fashion. I'm a fan of you all.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Mr. Williams -

I just responded to you via this bulletin board's PM function. Presently, I am at work. I will attempt to provide you the same information sent to you via PM using my work's email address. If I am unable to do this, I will use my computer at home later tomorrow.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I am sure that it is quite time consuming. Your work and effort is sincerely appreciated.

Regards

Edward J Fiebke Jr (Ted)

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke
    Mr. Williams -

I just responded to you via this bulletin board's PM function. Presently, I am at work. I will attempt to provide you the same information sent to you via PM using my work's email address. If I am unable to do this, I will use my computer at home later tomorrow.
    I have received your message already. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Hi Wheat,

I will be sending you a reply but I'm completely unable to do it until tomorrow (Sat) because I'm really snowed under with work (music teaching) at the moment until late tonight and from 8.00 Sat as well.

I do apologise for the delay. Will get down to it a SOON as I can.

Thanks for doing the notes - you're a star!!
    Jon Raybould

Sent mine yesterday afternoon, you should have it, let me know if you don't. Thanks!

Jim

At this moment in time I have completed the first draft of the liner notes and submitted them to the editor.

We'll post them when they are ready.

I was fortunate to hear from all 18 composers either via email or chat, most within 48 hours of sending out requests. Thanks to everybody for contributing their personal insights into their compositions.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Go Back to forum