• Register
  • Help

Topic: Programing vs. Performing...

Share/Bookmark

Programing vs. Performing...

Hi, all. I have GPO and JABB and thought I am essentially a newb, I'm getting the hang of it. I'm not much for real-time playing and do most of my work the long way. I am considering buying SSV in the group buy. I don't have an expression pedal, though I think my keyboard will take one, and I haven't been able to figure out if it has aftertouch (Kawai MP4-Does anyone know? They're somewaht cryptic about some things). How much will these limitations effect SSV? Thanks. ~Eric

Re: Programing vs. Performing...

I don't have an expression pedal either. As long as you have a sequencer that will allow you to input MIDI messages, you'll be good to go.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

For inputting cc data a graphical tablet makes a huge difference.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Having criticised the strad on the basis of some of the demos and the gaps in the published specifications from a string player viewpoint, I am nevertheless going to buy it and get my hands in the dough. But I do not wish to write music on a keyboard. Can I take it that everything the program will do on the fly and with key switching can also be written in as a midi-message instruction?

Dermod,

Can I take it that everything the program will do on the fly and with key switching can also be written in as a midi-message instruction?
    Yes, the strad uses standard MIDI controllers and messages.

Jim

(Don't want to hijack the thread but..)

Hannes, could you tell me what kind of graphics tablet you use? Does it replace the mouse or can you use them alongside each other?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I use an 8x4" Mousepad by Genius that was about 50 EUR. I think it is standardware.

I have the personal habit of not using a mouse but the touchpad of my laptop. So I can not really answer whether the graphic tablet works alongside with a mouse but I suppose so. With the touchpad it works - the cursor will be moved by whatever I touch of the both.

I should say that the Genius tablet also has a mouse that comes with it but I do not really use it. I like the swing of the pen.

There is one restriction: with the tablet the cursor will not move over to the second monitor that I use. So whatever I want to 'draw' has to have its window on the main monitor, and for the other monitor I use the touchpad.

BTW (but only a sidethought): since a few days I am experimenting with tablet2midi. This is a great tool to control 2 parameters in realtime.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thanks for the info, Hannes.
    I'll give one a try I think, as I spend a lot of time trying to draw curves in controller lanes. It's a pain.
    Your dual monitor problem wouldn't bother me as I only use a single monitor at the moment.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Go Back to forum