• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Weblogs or Webpages?

OT: Weblogs or Webpages?

Hey everyone,

I've been surfing around my website providers' website, if that makes sense, and I've discovered that they have added new features, the biggest of which is the ability to now create a blog.

So, my question is, which do people prefer more, a blog or a webpage? Does that make sense? I'm not really sure if it does.

I've seen some pretty impressive blogs that include multimedia files and what-not, so I'm wondering if the simple design of a blog is what consumers or individuals find more apealing than a website that you have to navigate through.

Just curious.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: Weblogs or Webpages?

I guess it depends on what kind of information are you going to show. For me, weblogs tend to be more "interactive", allowing visitors to participate on the content. But if you want only to show some information and keep it "closed" webpages do their job. I'd use blogs only if i want frequent feedback from users.
    Just my opinion

Well...for a blog you need to have something to write regularly... and the interactive part can also be dangerous. I' ve met only a few composers who keep a blog for their creative efforts and some are succesful, some not. Depends on the person.

I personally use my website as a showcase, a portfolio if you will, of my music, so no reason to have a blog.

For my needs of getting my ideas out there's always the forums...

If you plan to update the site periodically with news of what you are up to, you could turn it into a blog... it should make it much easier to update without having to upload a new html every time you'd like to update visitors on what your doing. Having a blog also allows for user feedback/interaction, as others have stated, but you should always be able to turn comments off... also, a blog by no means implies that you have to share your opinion about something everytime you blog...

The main page on my site is essentially a blog I can use to keep family and friends updated on my latest doings... I believe keeping a blog also makes it much more likely to have someone revisit your site to see if you have any updates, but they'll only keep up their revisiting if you keep updating.

I think in the end it really depends, as Corioliano said, on what you plan to show on the site, and how often you plan to update. Turning the front page into a blog makes updating extremely convenient.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum