• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How much ram do you use for samples?

Share/Bookmark

How much ram do you use for samples?

I'm just wondering, how do you drive your libraries?
    I mean, since this is the sample libraries forum, how much ram do you spend for all your your wonderful sample libraries?

Do you have a PC with 1GB ram, or an Intel Mac with 8 GB installed, or do you use multiple computers with a total of 64GB?

??

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Re: How much ram do you use for samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    I'm just wondering, how do you drive your libraries?
    I mean, since this is the sample libraries forum, how much ram do you spend for all your your wonderful sample libraries?

Do you have a PC with 1GB ram, or an Intel Mac with 8 GB installed, or do you use multiple computers with a total of 64GB?

??

Chris Hein

I use 64gb of ram..... with 4 macs

Bill Gates

just jocking...i have 4gb's of ram but i can't use them all (xp limit).....i'm planning to switch to Mac when Quad cores are out so i will not have any problem if i want to buy 64gb's of ram .....Bye

Btw congratulations Chris for your AMAZING guitars library....i will buy it for Christmas !!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I was struggling with 1Gb RAM until recently but nothing ran smoothly, lots of glitches. I've now got a 2nd PC with 2Gb, linked to the old PC using FX Teleport. Not tested it much yet but everything seems to be running more smoothly now.

Cheers,
    Tim

7 of the 8GB installed in my main G5, for openers.

(By running plug-in V.I.s iinside the DAW and stand-alone ones outside it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    7 of the 8GB installed in my main G5, for openers.

(By running plug-in V.I.s iinside the DAW and stand-alone ones outside it.)
    Hey Nick,

How do you route midi/audio to/from your stand alones? Actually, now that I think about it, I seem to recall you spelling it out in an earlier edition of your magazine... -- SoundBed or something similar?

Actually I just wrote this up in the Dec/January issue, but we did have a clinic on Soundflower in the last one. Soundflower (free d/l from the Cycling '74 site) becomes the stand-alone programs' audio interface. You use it to route audio back into the DAW's mixer. (Soundflower Bed is just a menu bar program to control SF.)

MIDI is even easier: just use an IAC bus. It's a little rectangle you'll find Audio MIDI Setup, and it acts just like a MIDI interface. Inter-application Communication.

I got 2 GB of RAM, after long hide and seek with my wife... You know... go out one day for "no good reason, to take some air", come back with semi-empty pockets... then start staying late at night... Then find out more info on how to show less RAM on the opening page of your computer... And then other stuff... How to hide your guilt, with small presents and lots of love in the middle of the night. Coffee in the morning... More love... Tendering the kids, and her love towards them and everything...

*ahem*

2 GB RAM. I don't use midi all the way.. I export to audio/bounde very frequently, and all mixing goes on into meer audio, with no midi at all! That's what I do...

Interesting answers.

Maybe this could be a solution:

2GB each, and I guess no streaming problems.
    The only problem is, you need multiple license for the software.
    It would be great if a license for for an instrument could be valid for a local network.
    So you could use as much copies as you like, as long as they are on the same local network.

Does anyone use the Mac Mini for sampe libraries?

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Several people on the VSL site are using them, but I personally don't think they're a good buy for this purpose due to their 2GB RAM limitation and only stereo digital output. They're a good buy for other things, but not samples.

In my opinion, once again; other people are very happy with them, so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Actually I just wrote this up in the Dec/January issue, but we did have a clinic on Soundflower in the last one. Soundflower (free d/l from the Cycling '74 site) becomes the stand-alone programs' audio interface. You use it to route audio back into the DAW's mixer. (Soundflower Bed is just a menu bar program to control SF.)

MIDI is even easier: just use an IAC bus. It's a little rectangle you'll find Audio MIDI Setup, and it acts just like a MIDI interface. Inter-application Communication.
    I believe you just made my day.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Go Back to forum