• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orthochromatics

Share/Bookmark

Orthochromatics

If there are any fans of 12 tone composition remaining out there, check out my personal blast from the past which is a snip of my Master's Thesis (1965) ... a piece for 23 Wind Instruments rendered in Fin/GPO. Chances are you will not find yourself humming any themes for the rest of the week .. so it's safe to listen. Just go to:

http://home.comcast.net/~d.esta/mymusic/Ortho_04.mp3

Dean

Re: Orthochromatics

Quote Originally Posted by Choral Conductor
    If there are any fans of 12 tone composition remaining out there, check out my personal blast from the past which is a snip of my Master's Thesis (1965) ... a piece for 23 Wind Instruments rendered in Fin/GPO. Chances are you will not find yourself humming any themes for the rest of the week .. so it's safe to listen. Just go to:

Dean
    Well, I see you have discovered how to get your music here! I am now downloading it, a slow process for me, as broad band is not available here. I am not exactly a fan of 12 tone music, although I have written some. Much of my music is either atonal or polytonal, or just drifts around tonalities. I would like to convince people that atonal does not imply only 12 tone or serial music!!

Richard

You make an important point. The popular myth is that dodecaphonic = atonal. The truth is, of course, that one may structure the prime set to evoke any melodic or harmonic material one chooses. In the case of Orthochromatics, I preferred 4ths and 5ths and seconds and 7ths. So, anyway, I appreciate your comments, as they obviously are generated by a keen intellect! Hope you enjoy the ride back to the 6o's. Let me know what you think, please.

Dean

Fascinating! Good blend of intellectual and emotional appeal. Not for quiet, meditative moments! I would really enjoy reading the score, or at least looking at it a bit! The music has survived the years better than I have, I think!

Richard

Why thanks, Richard. I'll see if I can whip up a PDF of the part of the score involved in the MP3 file you listened to. I think you will see that it probably isn't playable by live people, or at least, would be most difficult. But it might be fun to see go by as you listen.

Dean

Dean:

Great contemporary writing even though completed ca. 1965. I especially liked the rhythmic feel to the piece and the instrumentation was well produced with Fin/GPO--really good reproduction.

What I was imagining as I listened, even though it was written for 23 winds, was the insertion of strings ("pads" and motivic snippets) at some places; however, since this is a WW piece, it stands alone really well.

BRAVO, Dean

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choral Conductor

Dean
    Excellent stuff. Like Richard, I would love to see even a part of the score. Why 23 wind instruments? Will you give us a detail listing of the 23 winds you used?

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Thank all you folks for the kind words. I will list the instruments written for below, but must say, that in retrospect, I now wish I had included percussion instruments in the original score. I think it would have been an excellent chance to add a lot of color to the piece .. oh well, Monday A.M. Quarterbacking at its best. I also need to say that at that time in my callow youth, I didn't know what I now know about the limits and possibilities of all the wind instruments. I.e., the piece is probably nigh on unplayable by most human beings, but the GPO instruments had no trouble at all ... didn't have to rehearse a note!! Anyhoo, the instrumentation is as follows: 2 Fl. and one Picc., 2 ob., one Eng. Hrn., 3 Cl., one B.C., 2 bsn., 2 tpt., 4 hrn., 2 bones, and one Tuba. Sorry ... that makes 21, not 23 Instruments. I'll gladly send out a PDF of the score to those who wish it.

Take Care,

Dean

Well, done. Very expressive writing here and a great use of GPO/Finale. Thanks for sharing this blast from the past!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Well, heck, Dean, there are actually some of us who
    walk around humming things like this...

Perhaps I've been too long at the pen; but to me, this
    feels tonal -- oh, not in the sense of marching cadences
    of orderly progressions in fine traditional stance... but
    it loves the ear and lets it follow the work and understand
    it with neither flinching nor perspiration.

Call me a dodecaphonic fool, but I found this piece quite
    tasty and satisfying and listenable.

I do hope you'll do the whole piece...?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast