• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cittàgazze - Harpsichord Duet (Chappelle)

Share/Bookmark

Cittàgazze - Harpsichord Duet (Chappelle)

Translated literally from Italian, Cittàgazze means "City of the Magpies", and comes from the trilogy His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. (what I'm currently reading through again having been 5 years since I've last read it.)

Before it's literally discovered and explored, Cittàgazze was the "city in the sky", a sparkling visage viewable only when the Aurora borealis shone brightly in the sky, a thin layer between worlds. Then, in the beginning of the second book it is explored fully: a mediterranean city completely abandoned by any signs of life. It is a city haunted by 'spectres', invisible creatures to children that suck away adults' souls, leaving them zombie-like and lifeless.

Such was the inspiration for this simple little piece, written in the style of looping BGM, set to play continuously. The mp3 has one repetition.

http://leifchappelle.com/music/cittagazze-harpsi.mp3

As a postscript, I actually wrote this piece first as a guitar trio (two guitars + acoustic bass), but really wanted to share it here and so I worked on adapting it for a GPO harpsichord duo. If you want, you can check out the original rendition here:

http://leifchappelle.com/music/cittagazze.mp3

Re: Cittàgazze - Harpsichord Duet (Chappelle)

As Mr. Burns would say, on "The Simpsons"...EXCELLENT!

Nice Job, Leif. II like your work very much. IYour ending DOES leave me hanging and anticipating the tonic just a bit. II Closing on what appears to be the dominant seventh is a tad unsettling, but that's just me.

Thanks for posting your work.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Closing on what appears to be the dominant seventh is a tad unsettling, but that's just me.
    Larry, that's the ending to start over again as he said in the message. it can be played for ever and ever...... and it sounds great. Special that sequence where you divert from the normal harmonical setting.

Nice work,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Larry, that's the ending to start over again as he said in the message. it can be played for ever and ever...... and it sounds great. Special that sequence where you divert from the normal harmonical setting.

Nice work,

Raymond
    Yes, I know what the purpose is but it is still unsettling for me. I'm an old-fashioned V to I person.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks Larry, Raymond Appreciate the compliments! And yea, Raymond hit it on the head about the ending chord dealy.

I suppose if I wanted to really make it a standalone once-through piece, I could lead it into a coda that brings it to a harmonically satisfying conclusion. May do that later, but for now I'm letting it settle

Very unique work, Leif!

I truly enjoyed this!...and the rendering was superb.

~Jeff

Nice work leif, I particularly enjoyed the Guitar version.

I am also a fan of Pullmans trilogy, although it is an uneven work, it has so many thought provoking ideas, that the weakness of its structure is compensated by the brio of the storytelling.

regards Joe

ps I may seem like a harsh critic of Pullman, but I feel this way about many Huge books...Lord of the Rings etc.

Thanks Joe

Yeah, I actually feel that way about it as well. In fact I'm sure it's quite difficult indeed to pace large works like that, LotR especially. When you have so many characters, ideas, locales, etc.

Honestly I'm rather anxious to see how the music pans out for the films of the trilogy currently in the works. Apparently the same composer who wrote the score for "The Queen" is accompanying the trilogy. I haven't seen that film yet, but I've heard it's a really stellar movie.

Wow, this is great, a worthy companion to the images I saw in my head while reading the books years ago... I have my media player set to loop and it continuously plays on very nicely! Very nice! I especially enjoy your use of harmonies, they give a mysterious yet elegant aura to the mind's eye. My daemon, a golden monkey, also enjoys it.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Lovely flavor to this, Leif; an almost indefinable
    admixture of emotive distances and perspectives.
    Nice writing for the harpsichord, as well.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum