• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Steinway Piano

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Steinway Piano

Hi,
    I would like to say hello to all members as I am new at this thred.
    Last week I received my Muse Receptor PRO and yesterday GPO.
    During next weekend I will install it.

An open issue for me is piano sound. Ivory has really good demos and reviews, however only on/off sustain pedal function.
    NI Acoustic Piano should have better sustain function, however I did not get any concrete answer from producer.
    On the hardware side YAMAHA and ROLAND are using half pedaling.
    GEM has since ever a proportional pedal modelling.
    I know Pianoteq using no samples at all only physical modelling to creat piano sound. This is seamless and includes everything, however the general sound not as good like good samples to my opinon. At least not yet.

I am very surprised that the 2 - 20 GB software monsters have only on/off pedaling.

There is an announcement that Garritan is creating with Stainway a new piano software. The release time was initially spring 2006, currently shifted to early 2007. I did not get out yet:
    - which kind of pedaling will be applied (half or proportional)?
    - when a Receptor version will be available?

I would wish for a piano software:
    - sample for RAM about 1.2 - 1.5 GB (without soft pedal samples)
    - thus probably max. 12-15 layers
    - with seamless interpolation between the layers
    - physical modelling of resonances and sustain (proportional)

Best regards,
    Gabor

Re: Garritan Steinway Piano

I also wish there will be also some Ultra Lite version of the same piano, that allows the piano to be used for gigging and layering with other sounds too! And also to be player directly from some laptop hd without any external hd. For example Ableton Live's bundled Grand piano has 3 presets. Maybe some slider would be even cooler, but I don't know what's possible.

Gabor,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for expressing an interest in the Steinway Piano.

If you are concerned with proportional pedaling there is good news. The Authorized Steinway Piano library will have it!

We are in discussion with Muse about a Receptor version when it is available. So I think that is a good possibility.

As for your wish list, I think wishes can come true.

Best wishes,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Hrauda

- which kind of pedaling will be applied (half or proportional)?
    - when a Receptor version will be available?

I would wish for a piano software:
    - sample for RAM about 1.2 - 1.5 GB (without soft pedal samples)
    - thus probably max. 12-15 layers
    - with seamless interpolation between the layers
    - physical modelling of resonances and sustain (proportional)

Best regards,
    Gabor

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika
    I also wish there will be also some Ultra Lite version of the same piano, that allows the piano to be used for gigging and layering with other sounds too!
    Exactly this is also my intention with the wish for max. 1.5 GB RAM requirement. For optimum performance I will use 2 GB RAM, thus at least 0.5 GB RAM will be remaining for layering with other sounds which should be more than sufficient.
    I also would like to play piano with decent percussion & bass for classical Jazz (in this case the piano without layering).

Ultra Lite version: In Ivory you can select the number of the velocity layers (I think from 4 to 10 or 12). Thus you can adjust the required RAM size. In addition you also can swith off the sustain and soft pedal samples reducing also RAM requirement. I think this is more flexible as a lite preset.

In the mean time I had a first look at the GPO manual. Based on this I am pretty sure that also the new piano software will satisfy a wide range of users like you and me!
    Thank you for your replay: Gabor

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Gabor,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for expressing an interest in the Steinway Piano.

If you are concerned with proportional pedaling there is good news. The Authorized Steinway Piano library will have it!

We are in discussion with Muse about a Receptor version when it is available. So I think that is a good possibility.

As for your wish list, I think wishes can come true.

Best wishes,

Gary Garritan
    Gary, Thank you for good news and fast reply!
    I can now stop to search for the perfect piano software further: I already found it! I only start to count the days until the software will be available for the Receptor in Europe... Gabor

Oh, yea, I remember reading about this way of dropping layers! Yea, that sounds very good and much more flexible. I wish there's something like that!

Go Back to forum