• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is my new JABB defective?

Share/Bookmark

Is my new JABB defective?

Have been trying to install JABB for use in Logic and Garageband. No joy, and no reply *at all* from Garritan. I'm using a 2.0 MacBook Pro, with 2 GB RAM.

First: According to the manual, the install should somehow involve NI Kontakt. Mine doesn't. There is no mention anywhere in the installation process of Kontakt. There are no files or folders produced by the install that include the name Kontakt.

Nothing related to JABB shows up in GB or LP.

To perform this install I did the following:
    1) Opened the JABB DVD: Contrary to all included instructions, there is no Kontakt Player icon to click on. Just one called "Garritan Jazz Installer. app.

2) Clicking the Installer above brings up the license, select destination, then Installation type screens. In the Installation type dropdown, I selected custom install and there selected all choices, at which point it says there are 953 items to install.

3) Then it asks me to select a destination folder, and I select one names Garritan JABB that it the installer suggests. The install routine proceeds to the Finish Up phase and I quit the installer.

4) After finishing the install I have the following items in my apllications folder: "fftlib.shlib", "Garritan jazz.app", "read me.html", Registration Tool.app (which doesn't work--see below), "Jazz manual.pdf, a folder called "Garritan Jazz Big Band Library", another labeled "HTML", and a third folder labeled "Read Me".

Note that nowhere in this structure, or contained in the folders, is anything called "Kontakt"!

When I open the file "Garritan jazz.app" I get a keyboard that says "Kontakt Player" on the left and "Zazz and Big Band" on the right, so somehow it appears there is a Kontakt player, despite no mention in the install.

However, nothing remotely related to either Kontakt or JABB shows up in GarageBand or Logic. So there's no way to use this software.

Further, when I try to register the software, the registration process keeps telling me "Invalid System ID". Yet the ID number is the one furnished by "Registration Tool.app". And there is no way to alter that number.

So at this point it appears thatr I have a defective copy of JABB.

What am I missing here: Why, despite what looks like an OK install, can I not access any of the program's functions/instruments? And why can I not register it?

Unfortunately, the included "ReadMe" files and the manual are useless and wrong about what shows up in the install under OSX.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, there is a fix for the above and I won't have to inform Sweetwater that there JABB inventory is defective.

Re: Is my new JABB defective?

Hello, Pitkeys--Your pain is so palpable in your post, I had to reply.

Someone on a Mac who's successfully using JABB will hopefully respond to you also. It's only on an outside chance that my reply will be helpful to you, because:

--I'm on a PC, I only have experience installing and using GPO, not JABB.

But there were two things in your post that gave me some hope of being of some help to you:

--The Kontact Player, being the shell program which plays the Garritan library, simply showed up after I installed GPO. I didn't see reference to it until I'd installed GPO and used it for the first time. I think your experience as you described is as things should be.

--You still can't access JABB. --I couldn't get GPO to show up in my application at first either. I use Sonar. The one thing that didn't automatically happen when I installed GPO was for the VSTi and DXi dll files to end up where Sonar could access them. Being a total newb with both Sonar and GPO at the time, Gary Garritan himself answered my post asking for help. He simply explained that I needed to put those dll files in the appropriate shared plugin folder that Sonar uses.

Not having experience with running music/sound programs on a Mac, I don't know in what way things would work differently. But I suspect that you need to manually place files the way I did, for Logic and/or Garageband to find JABB.

Let us know when you have success---I'm seriously doubting there's anything wrong with your copy of JABB, only that it hasn't been completely integrated into your system.

rbowser

In order to use JABB as a plugin to GarageBand or Logic, the Kontakt Player audio unit needs to be Universal Binary. Yours is likely the older version and is not Universal Binary. So neither Logic nor Garageband which are both universal binary apps can see the plugin. I think the UB version for Kontakt Player just came out this week so you need to download the upgrade from Native Instruments before you can use this as a plugin.

Hi - I just noticed your post. I am able to access the JABB instruments from GarageBand. I did not do a custom install and all the files went to the right places automatically. I don't know if this will solve your problem but you must have the "Garritan Jazz.component" file in this directory:

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

I hope this helps.

~Paula

Quote Originally Posted by pitkeys
    Have been trying to install JABB for use in Logic and Garageband. No joy, and no reply *at all* from Garritan. I'm using a 2.0 MacBook Pro, with 2 GB RAM.

First: According to the manual, the install should somehow involve NI Kontakt. Mine doesn't. There is no mention anywhere in the installation process of Kontakt. There are no files or folders produced by the install that include the name Kontakt.

Nothing related to JABB shows up in GB or LP.

To perform this install I did the following:
    1) Opened the JABB DVD: Contrary to all included instructions, there is no Kontakt Player icon to click on. Just one called "Garritan Jazz Installer. app.

2) Clicking the Installer above brings up the license, select destination, then Installation type screens. In the Installation type dropdown, I selected custom install and there selected all choices, at which point it says there are 953 items to install.

3) Then it asks me to select a destination folder, and I select one names Garritan JABB that it the installer suggests. The install routine proceeds to the Finish Up phase and I quit the installer.

4) After finishing the install I have the following items in my apllications folder: "fftlib.shlib", "Garritan jazz.app", "read me.html", Registration Tool.app (which doesn't work--see below), "Jazz manual.pdf, a folder called "Garritan Jazz Big Band Library", another labeled "HTML", and a third folder labeled "Read Me".

Note that nowhere in this structure, or contained in the folders, is anything called "Kontakt"!

When I open the file "Garritan jazz.app" I get a keyboard that says "Kontakt Player" on the left and "Zazz and Big Band" on the right, so somehow it appears there is a Kontakt player, despite no mention in the install.

However, nothing remotely related to either Kontakt or JABB shows up in GarageBand or Logic. So there's no way to use this software.

Further, when I try to register the software, the registration process keeps telling me "Invalid System ID". Yet the ID number is the one furnished by "Registration Tool.app". And there is no way to alter that number.

So at this point it appears thatr I have a defective copy of JABB.

What am I missing here: Why, despite what looks like an OK install, can I not access any of the program's functions/instruments? And why can I not register it?

Unfortunately, the included "ReadMe" files and the manual are useless and wrong about what shows up in the install under OSX.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, there is a fix for the above and I won't have to inform Sweetwater that there JABB inventory is defective.
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Pitkeys--Your pain is so palpable in your post, I had to reply.

rbowser
    rbowser,

Thanks for the quick reply. Below I reply to another responder that I'm caught in a Catch-22.

For good reason it seems I need a UB update to Kontakt in order for it to be recognized by Logic and GarageBand.

Problem is, NI keeps telling me the System ID I need to register with is invalid. So I can't register or authenticate, and I need to do both in order to obtain the UB update.

So at this point, I've wasted the $259.00 I spent on JABB. It's useless.

Since I'm supposed to be testing this for a school district music program, it looks like I'm going to have to tell them to get their instrument software somewhere else.

I've written NI and Garritan several times, but nobody bothers to respond. So at this point, I'm recommending to the school district they get their several dozen copies of instrument software somewhere else.

I'm really tired of the rip off artists in this business, taking your money, but not providing tech support.

In addition to nixing the school order, I'm shopping for another piece iof software that knows what the H*** customer service is about. And I'm calling Chuck at Sweetwater to urge he drop Garritan.

Thanks for chiming in, though. It's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dbudde
    In order to use JABB as a plugin to GarageBand or Logic, the Kontakt Player audio unit needs to be Universal Binary. Yours is likely the older version and is not Universal Binary. So neither Logic nor Garageband which are both universal binary apps can see the plugin. I think the UB version for Kontakt Player just came out this week so you need to download the upgrade from Native Instruments before you can use this as a plugin.
    Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I can't get the UB update. In order to get the update you have to be registered and authorized. Since NI keeps telling me my System ID is invalid they won't register me and I'm SOL for the update.

And nobody at NI or Garritan has the courtesy to respond to me about this...so I guess I'm out the $259.00.

In which case they've lost the sale of about 120 copies of JABB and GPO.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    Hi - I just noticed your post. I am able to access the JABB instruments from GarageBand. I did not do a custom install and all the files went to the right places automatically. I don't know if this will solve your problem but you must have the "Garritan Jazz.component" file in this directory:

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

I hope this helps.

~Paula
    Thanks Paula.

The Garritan Jazz.component" file is in the Components folder, but that doesn't make a difference. JABB doesn't show in GB or LP, nor does Kontakt.

As I said above, it looks like I've lost my money on this one since neither NI or Garritan care to respond to my multiple queries for help. There's no way I can register or authtenticate this software in order to get a UB update which *might* make it work on my Mac.

But thanks for your help.

Are you on a Mac Intel by any chance? If so you need to wait until the update. Please provide info about your system?

Gary Garritan

How have you tried contacting Garritan? It's possible that if you are sending emails that they could be caught by a spam filter. I recommend to try calling the support number listed in your documentation. Gary is very easy to reach by the phone and has very flexible support hours.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Are you on a Mac Intel by any chance? If so you need to wait until the update. Please provide info about your system?

Gary Garritan
    Gary,
    Thanks for yoiur reply.

As noted above, I'm trying to Install on a MacBook Pro, which is an Intel Core Duo notebook.

The NI website says their latest update is UB capable, but since registration/authorization is required by NI to get that update, and since their website keeps on refusing my registration because their number (As supplied by the software installation) is an "Invalid System ID", I cannot download that UB update.

I don't think that's the reason why GarageBand and Logic do not recognize JABB since JABB is supposed to be fully functional for 30 days, according to your users guide.

So, if you have any ideas why I can't get an install that's usable by GB or LP, I'd appreciate them.

Go Back to forum