• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Stars and Stripes"

Share/Bookmark

"Stars and Stripes"

Well, you gave us some valuable feedback on the demo. Thanks for your comments. We wanted to give everyone a quick advance taste of the library but, obviously, the demo was much too sedate for most of you. So, next time we will do brassier, sloppier, more garish demos. But that won't be until after the release the product. So, this thread has been put to bed and we'll revisit this at a later date when we have more time to invest in an assortment of demos. Thanks again to all those who took the time to comment.

Tom

Re: "Stars and Stripes"

You took the demo down? I was going to listen to it after I got home from work but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer now... Oh well.
    Tim

Why close the demo thread so quickly? Wasn't it up only one day? I'm sure there'd be more responses and suggestiong..
    Cheers Matt

I don't think the demo was doing much to sell the library.

Mayor

Thumbs up Re: "Stars and Stripes"

Just had to dip my toes in on this one (breaking my quite lengthy self imposed exile, certainly in terms of contributing to the forums) Committments etc etc!!

You know the (now closed) thread speaks volumes about the Garritan philosophy compared with many others out there. When I saw the 1st response to the Stars & Stripes demo I felt saddened for Gary that one of his "babies" would get such a negative and public response, yet at the same time I had to admire the honesty (and courage) of the poster for speaking his mind. Gary's response was so typical of him - let's see how we can take users' concerns and make a better product! In many other places you would get banned for being so forthright. Some time ago I spent a FORTUNE on a certain choirs library. I was so disappointed when I received it, not only for the massive technical problems and complexity of getting it to actually work, but because the range of the sopranos is so ludicrously curtailed (lowest note = A above middle C!!!" The solution for users wishing to have a full range )assuming you don't have K2) is that you have to mix the altos in to get the lower notes. Mmm - pretty useless for most normal situations I think. I joined a thread begging for a rethink and the addition of the missing notes because, as I put it "anyone would have to be pretty aurally challenged not to notice the difference in timbre when moving say from an A to a G! Thereafter I found that I couldn't post any more! I privately messaged various administrators, to be told that they didn't know why this had happened but there was nothing they could do about it anyway! 2 PMs to a certain bigwig at the company (initials NP) resulted in a resounding silence! Garritan users don't realise how lucky they are to have such an up front and approachable guy as Gary at the helm, and so accessible.

Anyway, back to MB. The quality of the demo, certainly to a degree, depended on the system you're playing it back on. I haven't tried it on my 'big stuff', but on a cheap set of PC speakers it sounded a bit on the rough side. I've listened again on headphones attached to a laptop and it sound infinitely better - especially Tom's second mix.

For me the biggest problem is the piccolo - it's a bit too much in your face in the 1st demo (for my taste anyway) and it's slightly too perfect, if that's not a contradiction in terms, - giving the impression of a slightly artificial rendition. But listening carefully to the inner parts, it's pretty accurate and extremely useable.

Actually I'm not a huge fan of Marching Bands - or Military Bands as we call them here in England. BUT, seeing as I grew up virtually living, eating sleeping and generally existing for years in a brass band based Euphonium from the age of 11 -( yes Snorlax isn't the only Euphoniumistic prodigy around here although I went on to play orchestral Tuba but haven't played for years!) --- I the sound of brass bands "a la" UK. So put me down for a copy too - like yesterday- please. And to that end, notwithstanding Tom's one way ticket to Tahiti, pleeeeeeaaaase try at some stage to get an Eb Soprano cornet in there - it's really the icing on the cake for British band music, and it really would add that extra bit of finesse.

It's funny, the more we're presented with these fantastic compositional tools, the more we want and expect, and my last request shows I do it too. But, when I start to get too fussy, I think back just a few short years when none of this existed and it brings me back down to earth. Nevertheless, Gary's demonstrated the positive stance he's taken with regard to criticism and I'm guessing that what will be a superb library, fulfilling the needs of a large variety of band styles, will continue to go from strength to strength. We shouldn't expect things to be too easy either. Sometimes I get a tiny bit frustrated that the GPO strings don't sound quite as realistic as I'd like them to - so what do I do? Easy - I listen to something by Dan Kury (DPDan) or by David Sosnowski (etLux) - and it shows me that the problem is me rather than the library - all it takes is a bit more hard work, application, persistence and experimentation with controllers, reverb and EQ, and most things can be improved infinitely.

Thanks Gary.

And now I'll just slip back into anonimity until such time as I have more time/a half decent tune to post/more to say/ something else to beg for ...like the Eb Soprano cornet!!!

Cheers everyone & best wishes for the impending Festive Season

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    So, next time we will do brassier, sloppier, more garish demos.
    That would certainly jibe with *my* high school marching band memories.

Make sure you implement the full range of dynamics, from ff to ffffff, and you need only bother sampling the highest octave of all brass instruments.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by mistersynth
    Sometimes I get a tiny bit frustrated that the GPO strings don't sound quite as realistic as I'd like them to - so what do I do? Easy - I listen to something by Dan Kury (DPDan) or by David Sosnowski (etLux) - and it shows me that the problem is me rather than the library...
    Ain't that the truth! I was initially looking at a different orchestral library until I heard what was possible with GPO via DIPDan and etLux. Listening to the myriad demoes at Garritan.com, I realized that if you put some work into it that GPO doesn't necessarily have to have an identifiable 'sound' like some of the libraries I auditioned - there's so much flexibility built in to build your own unique ensembles. As funny as some of the "Worst Sounding Demoes" were I believe it showcased some of this flexibility.

I shouldn't buy one more thing until I've polished my chops on GPO. Well, that is, um, after I receive JABB that I purchased through the group buy.

You're right... we're spoiled

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    That would certainly jibe with *my* high school marching band memories.

Make sure you implement the full range of dynamics, from ff to ffffff, and you need only bother sampling the highest octave of all brass instruments.

- m
    You're giving me ideas for the next "Worst Sounding Demo" contest. I'll use MB and my entry will be titled "High School Band Bus Ride".

Jon

Pity the demo vanished so quickly. I liked it and can visualise using the band for a project I have up my sleeve. I am sure the criticisms were well intended. But speaking as one whose experience of marching bands was largely while on parade in a recruit training depot, I can say it did the business uncannily well. Memories flooded back. As the drill sergeant used put it, 'when I give the word of command, I want to hear your neck click, I want to see your eyeballs roll, and the snot fly out of your nostrils...' Oh happy days. The US army, of course, may lack a certain something.

This demo was too good to represent the avrage marching band:
    much too musical, too much in tune, too balanced.
    It sounded too much like the few pro marching bands that I have heard.

Jeannot Welter.

Go Back to forum