• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EWX 24/96 users. Please help! Driver conflict - Sonar and GS

Share/Bookmark

EWX 24/96 users. Please help! Driver conflict - Sonar and GS

I’ll try to be as concise as possible.

PROBLEM: Driver conflict with Sonar and Giga

EQUIPMENT: GS 160 v.2.5, Sonar 1.3.1, EWX 24/96 soundcard (multiclient), updated drivers for everything (WDM), optimized dedicated DAW

SYMPTOM: When opening opening Sonar from within GS, an audio error message pops up saying that the drivers are already in use (by GS). I’m not able to record any audio at the present.

IMPORTANT FACTS:
    1. Terratec has confirmed that both Sonar and GS should be able to operate at the same using this soundcard, recording and playing back audio.

2. There are no errors reported in either EWX or GS. The error message occures when I open Sonar from within GS.

3. Soundcard and sonar are both set to 16 bit, 44.1 hz. There are no other background applications running that could interfere.

4. \"Share drivers with other programs\" is selected in Sonar

5. I have tried the “always us MME interface…” option in Sonar.

6. I am able to record midi data from GS and my keyboard just fine.

GS diagnostic tool shows the following for drivers used:

WaveOut devices (3):
    Device 0 - EWX 24/96 Wave Analog
    Device 1 - EWX 24/96 Wave S/PDIF
    Device 2 - EWX 24/96 WaveRec Mixer

Sonar shows exactly the same options for drivers in Audio | Options | Drivers for both in and outs.

I’m working on a paid music project that has to be finished next week, so I’m really under the gun with solving this problem. I have tried the Tascam forum and Sonar technical support, but to no avail.

Help is deeply appreciated.

p.garnvik

Re: EWX 24/96 users. Please help! Driver conflict - Sonar and GS

Hmmm...I use the EWX2496 with GS, but not with Sonar. Have you tried calling Cakewalk? Theyre probably among the most likely of the sequencer companies to know something about GigaStudio. And then you probably already know the toll-free number for TerraTec support in the US (provided by a company called Fostex): 01-800 9Fostex.

I take it you have the EWX set to Internal on the sound card mixer...and to the same bit depth and k rate everywhere - in Sonar and Giga and for the card - like 16/44.1. I have a Sonar/Giga using friend (but not a Terratec card). I\'ll email your post to him (he hates forums) - and if he has an insight I\'ll get it back to you here.

I\'m relatively new to Giga - but you do have \"Nemesys Midi Port 1\", \"Nemesys Midi Port 2\", etc., selected as your Midi Outs in Sonar right ? And not the EWX for Midi Out. Your card should only be selected for Midi In.

Hello Lifeforce,

Yes to bit and k rate uniformity. It\'s all the set to the same.

Yes, card is set to Internal.

The midi out is set to Nemesys port 1 for GS sounds, and to EWX for keyboard sounds. Midi input doesn\'t show any card--only options None, Midi omni, and 16 channels. I have it set to midi omni. Midi works just fine.

I called Terratec. They confirmed that I should be able to record and play back audio using Sonar and Giga at the same time. They directed me to Sonar, and Sonar folks directed me to Giga, and Giga folks...well, let\'s see what happens here.

Hopefully your friend will have some clues. That would be great.

Well here ya go - I knew my Sonar/Giga friend would have an instant reaction. He\'s way into that combo. Hope that this helps:

\"Make sure that GS and SONAR are NOT set to use the same OUTPUT ports at the same time. In other words:

1. Open SONAR (by itself, without GS).
    2. Under \"Options\" -> \"General\" set Playback Timing Master AND Recording Timing Master to \"EWX 24/96 Wave S/PDIF\" or \"EWX 24/96 WaveRec Mixer\"
    (he may have to play with these).
    3. Close SONAR.
    4. Open GS (by itself, without SONAR).
    5. Under \"Settings\" -> \"Hardware Routing\" set GS\'s output to \"EWX 24/96 Wave Analog.\"
    6. Click \"Apply\" and close GS.
    7. Open GS, load some instruments, then open SONAR and see if it doesn\'t all work now.

Let me know if these ports show readings other than the ones shown above. The nomenclature in GS is often different from what shows up in SONAR.
    For example, some of the ports may show up as \"WavePlay...\" something or another. If that\'s the case, then I need to know EXACTLY how they show up in SONAR. Send a complete listing of all audio devices that show up in SONAR -- but only if the procedure above doesn\'t work.\"

Good luck with the project - LifeForce

Thanks for helping me out. I think we are on the right track. I did as suggested and below is the outcome explained in detail.

I selected the \"EWX 24/96 Wave S/PDIF\" for both playback and recording timing master, closed Sonar and opened GS. In GS there is only one choice for a driver in the hardware configuration—“EWX 24/96 GSIF (1)”—and it has already been selected.

Then when opening Sonar from within GS I get the following message: “Either the drivers do not support the audio format, or are in use by another application”. Usually all drivers appear underneath this message, and sometimes just the Wave Rec Mixer.

If I select “use anyway” the following message appears “Audio hardware failed to initialize”. I click OK and Sonar freezes. If I select “disable” I can enter the program, but the drivers are now deselected and non-functional in Sonar.

I also attempted to select \"EWX 24/96 WaveRec Mix” for playback and recording timing masters. I had the same results as explained above.

The only way I can open Sonar from within GS is if Playback Timing Master is set to None. I am then able to record midi tracks.

The following are the exact driver names that appears in Sonar and GS:

GS HARDWARE CONFIGURATION:
    EWX 24/96 GSIF (1)

SONAR PLAYBACK TIMING MASTER, RECORDING TIMING MASTER, and DRIVERS (both inputs and outputs):
    1: EWX 24/96 Wave Analog
    2: EWX 24/96 Wave S/PDIF
    3: EWX 24/96 WaveRec Mixer

The following is specific driver info from GS diagnostic tool:

GS DIAGNOSTIC TOOL:
    WaveOut devices (3):
    Device 0 - EWX 24/96 Wave Analog
    Device 1 - EWX 24/96 Wave S/PDIF
    Device 2 - EWX 24/96 WaveRec Mixer

MidiOut devices (6):
    Device 0 - Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    Device 1 - EWX 24/96 MIDI
    Device 2 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 1
    Device 3 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 2
    Device 4 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 3
    Device 5 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 4

MidiIn devices (1):
    Device 0 - EWX 24/96 MIDI

GSIF Compatible cards: 1 cards currently active.
    EWX 24/96 GSIF (1) : 2 outputs supported.

It seems as though GS is hugging not just the Wave Analog, but actually all audio drivers since I am not able to use any of them as a playback and recording timing master device. Someone from Sonar tech staff suggested that I enable the “always use MME interface…”, but that didn’t make a difference either.

Also, I do not currently have the GSIF plug-in enabled on the soundcard. I\'m not sure whether or not that has anything to do with all this.

Further help greatly appreciated,

Peter

Arghhh...Sorry, Peter. I meant to get you more feedback from my Sonar guru friend. A long wait and then I learned he never got my second email with your feedback! Dang. So I\'m sending your feedback on his suggestions again now (late Monday night) and I will get right back to you if I hear from him tomorrow. Best, LFE

I could be wrong,but it sounds like the samplerates are set differently in the different apps,because that\'s the message you get.Are both apps set 44.hz or 48.hz??

Hmmm. Well Peter - my friend also comes to the same conclusion. I guess he doesnt know that we went over this already but here\'s his comment:

When SONAR issues the following message:

\"Either the drivers do not support
    the audio format, or are in use by another
    application\"

It usually means that the bit-depth and sampling rate settings in SONAR don\'t match what\'s on the sound card.

Ask him to make sure that all three things, SONAR, GS and the EWX sound card, are ALL set to the SAME bit-depth (16-bit or 24-bit, whatever)
    and sampling rate (44.1 KHz or 48Khz or 96KHz, whatever).

That should fix the problem.

My only other thought is to point out that there is a bit depth setting under the Sampler tab as well as the Hardware Routing tab in GS. Is the Sampler tab setting also in synch with everything else? Otherwise, I\'m afraid that\'s it from my end. Sorry if we didnt solve the problem.

There have been a few new drivers for the EWX2496 in the past few months. Actually, I\'m not sure if Im absolutely current myself. But my system is stable and thats what really counts. Good luck!

Hello again, LFE and Alan. For some reason my other account was “banned”, and I don’t’ know why. Trying to contact them about it. Thus the delay (as if I didn\'t have enough problems already)

Thanks for all the help. Please don’t give up on me yet. I have started to lay down some midi tracks for a documentary for the National Parks, and I will have to send them some audio samples at the end of the week. So solving this audio error problem is absolutely crucial.

The audio error message could also mean that another application is using the drivers (Giga). I have triple checked the bit and sample rate settings and they are uniformly set on Sonar, GS and Soundcard—also under the Sampler tab in GS.

Here is what Andy from Cakewalk said yesterday:

\"Set the Giga to use the SPDIF ports only. Then, in SONAR select the Analog ports under Options | Audio | Drivers and try it again.\"

But where do I specify or configure the audio port settings in GS? My Giga Hardware settings profile shows the following:

Hardware GSIF compatible YES: EWX 24/96 GSIF (only choice here)

Sample Rate: 44.1 khz

Bit Depth: 16 (interesting that here it doesn’t give me the option of 24 bits. Why not??)

Outputs Enabled: 1,2 (only!)

thanks,

Peter

Go Back to forum