• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Carol Of The Bells by DPDAN

Carol Of The Bells by DPDAN

Hi everyone!
    I stumbled upon this recording on a back up disc from my old computer back in 1999. When I purchased GPO in 2004, it was to learn how to use midi. How awesome it would have been to know then what I know now. Still lots to learn. Lot's of boo boos that I would have taken care of had I had Digital Performer back then. I want to make it clear this is not GPO.

The funny thing about this recording is that I made it on a Yamaha MD8, 8 track mini-disc recorder. I knew nothing about midi back then, but I wanted to see if I could copy David Foster's awesome arrangement of Carol Of The Bells by ear. It was fun to try, but it's not David Foster, that's why I called the tune "Danny Foster" I borrowed this cheesy Yamaha keyboard from church....

it was so cheesy it had built in speakers. I played the parts in and could not do any editing. I could record up to six parts, then I bounced that stereo mix to two empty tracks, then six more till it was finally done. I think I remember a total of 26 tracks.

Anyway it was fun to listen to after this many years. Man would I kill for a midi file of this to remake with GPO.

I just wanted to post it since it is that time of year.
    kinda funny
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Re: Carol Of The Bells by DPDAN

Dan - I LIKE IT!

Reminds me of the sounds used by Mike Oldfield - Tubular bells, and allsorts of stuff from the '80's
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Back then I never realized that it was possible to make music with a computer. It sounds nice and certainly you evolved, but it always gives pleasure to get those old ones back in memory.... as I recently discovered when I found an old "shoot-hide-run-get-more-lives" game I wrote for my son.
    A pity I can't load it anymore, it was for the old Commodore 64. The sound effects were taken from some samples that came with the programming package. I didn't know what samples were, but I used them anyway.

You all have a very nice Christmas,

It's fun! It reminds me of my old Wendy Carlos/Moog days in the late '60s. Ah, memories.

A really great arrangement and the product, back in 1999, must have sounded awesome because it still sounds super today even though you use much better tools now. Your ear still amazes me Mr. Dan.

("Man" not "Art") Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Dan this is absolutely fantastic!

I for one would never guess that it was made on a cheesy keyboard. Synth, yes, but you've done such a fabulous job with the arrangement and choice of sounds that it's far easier to sit back and enjoy the great music than analyze the source of the samples (I never realized those cheapy keyboards could sound so good!).

Your timing is fantastic. This must have taken sooooo many takes!
    I heard some timpani rolls in there. How did you manage to play that in? My hand would fall off if I tried a stunt like that!

It's really very close to the original - very impressive.

Now if we're really gonna start telling old war stories, I'll have to go on and on about writing music for the old Apple ][... all we had for percussion sounds was ADR envelope control and a single white noise generator... dagnabit!

Chandler, Arizona

Actually I think this sounds quite good! This just shows what tools in the right hands can produce.

I have some old Christmas arrangements that I did back in the 80's and early 90's which maybe I'll post one of these days. Some our analog 4-tracks made with a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 synth.

that was some fun reading, thanks everybody!

The amount of esteem one gets after reading responses is amazing.
    Thanks so much to you all !!!!!

Hayden post them babies!

Aw, for Pete's sake, Dan, I think you could probably make
    three yowling cats and somebody banging on a bag of
    dead flies come out sounding... great!

You know, there's almost a "style" to the way you treat
    sound, the accumulated evidence of your vision of music
    in general... you listen to something, and thirty seconds
    into it, you know it's... Dan Kury.

And that, my friend, is a profound gift, of itself...

Always my best,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast