• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: what is the best reverb plugin, will it compare to a hardware unit

Share/Bookmark

what is the best reverb plugin, will it compare to a hardware unit

I am trying to decide whether or not to buy another reverb plugin or get a hardwire unit. I use a pc with a rme card and for now Im using the UAD-1 plate reverb, the waves convolution reverb, and wave arts. I cant decide what to do for a upgrade. Ive been thinking about a TC power core card or buying a outboard unit like a lexicon or a Kurzweil rumour. I was really just wondering it the tc power core or any plug in is going to be as good as a hardwire unit.

Jeff

Re: what is the best reverb plugin, will it compare to a hardware unit

Good question. I am considering the same thing. Particularly because there seems to be a good deal on Powercore unplugged.

Powercore Unplugged + VSS3 for just £400, at certain outlets in Europe. Wich is a pretty good deal from my quick research on the items as sold separately.

I already have altiverb, but was considering a DSP powered solution for tracking. I had previuosly tried Powercore and Classicverb, but returned it within a day as thought the reverb sucked.

Without wishing to hijack the thread, does anyone have any views of the VSS3 ???

Thanks
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

I would like to know the same thing Drew, the info on the TC site is not really clear as to which verb is the best. From the impression I got the VSS3 may have been more for effects. I just want the best thing I can get for vocals and drums mainly

Jeff

IK Multimedia's CSR (Classik Studio Reverb) sounds fantastic and has a bunch of different algorithms. Arts Acoustic has a reverb plugin that is also very, very smooth and usable. Lastly, it's a little out of the way, but Reason's RV7000 reverb unit beat out a real high end Lexicon hardware 'verb in blind listening tests (there was a report about it last year). Given that IK Multimedia is running a promo all this month I might go with CSR.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I just got a power core card for $139.00 could turn that down so I guess Ill get the vss3 and Ill let you know how I like it

Jeff

Just out of interest, what are your problems with the UAD-1 plate and the Waves convolution reverb? In other words what's missing that makes you feel you need to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    ...Lastly, it's a little out of the way, but Reason's RV7000 reverb unit beat out a real high end Lexicon hardware 'verb in blind listening tests (there was a report about it last year). ...
    Which Lexicon? Anything except a super cheapo unit would still blow away the Reason RV7000. It's just OK, not spectacular IMHO.

One of the great Lexicon units (PCM70/PCM81/PCM90/480/960) are still really tough to find in software.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h
    I just got a power core card for $139.00 could turn that down so I guess Ill get the vss3 and Ill let you know how I like it

Jeff

wow, where did you pick up that bargain Jeff ?
    I've read tons of good reviews about the VSS3, but haven't been able to track down a single demo.

Never-the-less, an unplugged powercore and VSS3 for £400, is still almost a no-brainer. A few months ago, the unplugged would have cost £500 on its own, and the VSS3 on its own still retails for £379.

... Wish Altiverb would do a powercore version ...
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Which Lexicon? Anything except a super cheapo unit would still blow away the Reason RV7000. It's just OK, not spectacular IMHO.

One of the great Lexicon units (PCM70/PCM81/PCM90/480/960) are still really tough to find in software.
    Actually, a 480 was used, as well as a TC Electronic Reverb 6000. The test was done by one of the main Reason developers as part of a seminar. Here was what he wrote;

I recently held a seminar to people distributing Propellerhead Software products, people from all over the world. As part of that seminar we had a blind test comparing our software reverb with a Lexicon 480 and TC Electronic Reverb 6000. The examples were prepared by mix engineer Niklas Flyckt, who recently won a Grammy for his work with Britney Spears. Niklas uses TC and Lexicon reverbs in his daily work and also created some of the presets for the RV7000. This guy knew what he was doing when he was given the task to create fair examples to compare the quality of the three units.

In the test we asked around 30 people to single out the reverb with the ”best quality”, in each example, but left the definition of that term to them. As it turned out, the RV7000 won. That’s insane, after all, this is a software reverb that is only a small part of a USD449 product and it goes up against the reverb hardware giants of this world, costing more than ten times as much. Plus you can use a dozen or more RV7000s on the computer you already have. We knew we were good, but even we were surprised about the results.

The main point is that it was a blind test. The people listening to the examples were not influenced by preconceptions, what they saw, the aura surrounding a brand, or the price. The only thing that counted was what they heard.
    To be fair, the subjects of the test weren't audiophiles, but still... it says something about the quality of that verb.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Well, there you have it again. While I absolutely love my PCM90 and would not like to trade if for any plug-in, it doesn't look like the Reason guys cheated either.

In all honestly, how many times haven't we been caught by surprise on this board? Think of: "wow, that sounded really, really great. What reverb did you use? Ohh, just an Alesis Quadraverb". Or some Soundblaster FX

There's of course a reason that some aren't to keen on these blind tests.
    Not seldom wine experts are caught with their pants down on such gatherings either
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

Go Back to forum