• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Scarbee Bass, Sounds good but a lot of controller editing?

Share/Bookmark

Scarbee Bass, Sounds good but a lot of controller editing?

Scarbee Bass, Sounds good but a lot of controller editing?

[I am inputing this info after playing with Scarbee bass and getting down and dirty in a small jazz, piano, bass and drums piece. I learned in a mix the bass sounds pretty darn good with just a few slaps here in there using the JP2 multi. SO the answer to my question and the topic of this post is: Scarbee does not need a lot of controller editing to sound great but the articulations are there if I want them!

So I don't need to use all the articulations unless I decide to do a bass solo they are there if I need them! The rest of this post was written earlier, before I created my demo so red it with a grain of salt. I jumped to conclusions before I spent enough time playing with this awesome bass!]

Original Post:

I recently installed and have been trying to learn how to efficiently use Scarbee Bass Slap 'n FIngered usaing Kontakt 2.

I narrowed down the instruments and multis and even figured out how to switch slap and finger on the fly using my sustain pedal as a foot pedal in Cubase, SX3.

The problem I am having is, I find it nearly impossible to effectively use the key swtiching articulations on the fly to get the authentic bass sound found in the Scarbee demos. I have been studying the Scarbee midi files and am overwhelmed at the number of articulations which need to be inputed in the editing window. Judging from the Scarbee midi demos, it seems necessary to inpuit a new keyswitch in between almost every single midi note - even during 16th and 32nd phrases!

I don't want to be spending half of my composing time tweaking a bass to get it to sound right with its articulations. Am I missing something or is that how it is with Scarbee? It sounds great and has potential but will I be better off learning how to play a real bass if it is going to take me just as much time, or even longer, to input articulations in snail edit mode!

Am I doing something wrong? Is this why Trilogy is so popular because you don't have to do all this tweaking? Do I need Trilogy instead?
    P4 3.0, 2 gig ram, nvidia 6800gt, 3 SATA drives, EMU-1820M, UAD-1, Studiologic SL-110, Mackie Universal Controller, Behringer Truth B2031A, Cubase SX3, Kontakt2, EWQL Gold, EWQL Choirs, EWQL Collosus, NI Akoustik Piano, NI Elektrik Piano, NI B4 II, EZ Drummer, Lyrical Distortion 1+2, Scarbee Bass, Real Guitar2, Atmospheres, Absynth1, GPO

Re: Scarbee Bass, Sounds good but a lot of controller editing?

Hi!

I don't have the K2 version, I use the GS3 version. I generally use the Jam bass. It lets me do repeated notes and downward slides with keyboard mapping, and the mod wheel controls articulations. It's the way to go for real time playing. Then all that generally has to be done is go back and edit the mod wheel and add the occasional upward slide on another track. It's pretty painless and the results are generally spectacular.

This piece was done that way and it has some heavy bass work:
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4121294&q=hi

For more general pop bass I can get great results in one go just like Trilogy (which is well worth having, BTW, just for the variety of basses).

Impressive work Fred; my compliments! What's your primary instrument, keys?

I know I've said it before but, I love that tune Fred!

Very nice indeed!
    I liked the drums a lot (apart from the other instruments)
    Which lib is it?

regards,
    Justus

Thanks! Yep, I'm a keyboard player. The drums are DFHS Superior. The lead guitar stuff is Lyrical Distortion (the e-bow is real!) It's from an album I hope to finish before 2010

supercool piece!
    Real music played on virtual instruments!

Did you program the drums or are they triggered from a V-drum?

gotta listen again!

Hans

For basic parts, just keep your velocities between 70 and 100 or whatever it is and it will be a fine bass part. For more detailed work... yes, you'll need to do some editing. Isn't that the way with everything? What else really knows what *you* want without you telling it?

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Thanks! Yep, I'm a keyboard player. The drums are DFHS Superior. The lead guitar stuff is Lyrical Distortion (the e-bow is real!) It's from an album I hope to finish before 2010
    I haven's listen to prog for quiet sometime, it's fun!

OK, i now understand why people like lyrical Distortion so much...

I'm curious to know how long it took you to program the base? It's my favorite bass, but like our friend here, i was a little worried about how long it takes to program, any ideas? Note that it will not affect my desicion, i would just like to know what I'm getting into...

P.S. I've listened to you song 3 times already, it must be good...Listening to it a forth time...how much do i own you?

Great.

Regards

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast