• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Idea for GOS2/GPOA (Ksw. for each string of an instrument)

Share/Bookmark

Idea for GOS2/GPOA (Ksw. for each string of an instrument)

Hello there!

Yesterday, while driving home and spending some time (actually lots of time) in the inevitable traffic jam I came up with a brilliant idea. Please bear with me, if this has been suggested:

I would love to have string sections and solo insturments where you can switch between the same note to be played on every available string. Example:

Violins 1 Keyswitches:
    C0 = G-string
    C#= D-string
    D0 = A-string
    D#0= E-string

This would enable the composer to finally implement color considerations into his "performance"!

Background babble: I always loved how wonderfully expressive real recorded Violin passages could sound (For example Piazollas "Tanzago", "Tango Ballet" and others) when the players skilfully switch the strings during their performance. I NEVER heard something like that in orchestral mockups!

Maybe the ability to switch between strings could help in adding yet more depth, heart and emotion to the performance?

What do you think about this idea?
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: Idea for GOS2/GPOA (Ksw. for each string of an instrument)

Thanks for bringing this up again. There was once a little discussion on this on page 8 of this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=39032&page=8

It was repeated in slightly more depth elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. One thing some of us came up with is that the sample set could probably be kept to a minimum in size by simply supplying: (using violin as example)

1. Sul-G samples from D4 to about C5 (No need to sample for notes only available on G string anyway)
    2. Sul-D samples from A4 to about C6

Using just these extra notes, we could keyswitch between G string, D string, and "normal mode." Normal mode would always give you the highest available string for the chosen note.

I don't recall ever having seen anything marked "Sul-A," as the timbre of the two top strings is much much more similar than any two other strings. It *could* be included, but in the interest of keeping things smaller, I don't think it would be needed.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Yes, that idea is already in use in Real Guitar, there is an Auto Fret mode which will automatically play the note on the string in the position you're currently at, or manual mode in which you can set the fret position (automation by cc controller) and play the note in any possible string. It is amazing how realistic this sounds vs the regular guitar samples always playing at position 1. I also think that this should be implemented for the future violins.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I don't recall ever having seen anything marked "Sul-A," as the timbre of the two top strings is much much more similar than any two other strings. It *could* be included, but in the interest of keeping things smaller, I don't think it would be needed.
    I slightly disagree here since the difference between high A sting and low E string is very big and important. The E string is from steel and the A from gut or nylon, and the difference is very frequently used to point out the character of the passage.

The thing is that it is so essential that players will use intuitively what fits into the mood, and so self-evident that it often is not mentioned in the score.

+1 for the initial issue ...

BUT

there is also the cc#24 for brightness, and I use it for this purpose.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

I have to agree with Hannes. On a cello, that usually plays with metal-only strings, there is a marked and much used difference in timbre between the two top strings A & D. On a violin with metal E and gut A string, the difference would be even greater.

musicpete,

Thanks for posting the suggestion. We must be on the same wavelength.

Sul altra corda switching is already implemented in GOS2

Gary

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Pray tell when we'll have some demos of GOS2 Gary?

hehe
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg from Futurama
    Look at me: I'm useful!

Wow, this sounds exciting! Now I really hope this will help giving string lines even more heart and emotion.

Mind if I include this in the GPOA rumor thread?
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Lightbulb Re: Idea for GOS2/GPOA (Ksw. for each string of an instrument)

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    musicpete,

Thanks for posting the suggestion. We must be on the same wavelength.

Sul altra corda switching is already implemented in GOS2

Gary
    How about violin subharmonics, e.g., playing an octave below low G on a normally-tuned violin?

See http://homepages.nyu.edu/~mk4/subharmonics.html

Enjoy,

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast