• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigasampler's low output/gain

Share/Bookmark

Gigasampler\'s low output/gain

I\'ve asked this question all over the net and I have not yet received a useful response. I have a PC with a Pentium III 450mhz, 512mb RAM, 20g HD, Win98 SE, and a Soundblaster Live! Value card. I am, of course, using Gigasampler also. My problem is that when I use my MIDI devices/sequencers (in say, ProTools or Logic Audio) to trigger the samples in GS they are of a frustratingly lower gain than the other audio tracks that are being played. Now, please don\'t send me a response asking if I\'ve checked the velocity or the \"mixer\" in GS. Gigasampler just seems to be...quiet. I\'ve checked the most obvious things. The only thing that I know for sure is that this is not an uncommon problem with other users. Though, I have yet to hear of a good remedy for this problem. Someone out there must\'ve figured this out by now.

P.S. don\'t tell me to check Windows audio mixer either.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Gigasampler\'s low output/gain

Originally posted by sharky:
    I\'ve asked this question all over the net and I have not yet received a useful response. I have a PC with a Pentium III 450mhz, 512mb RAM, 20g HD, Win98 SE, and a Soundblaster Live! Value card. I am, of course, using Gigasampler also. My problem is that when I use my MIDI devices/sequencers (in say, ProTools or Logic Audio) to trigger the samples in GS they are of a frustratingly lower gain than the other audio tracks that are being played. Now, please don\'t send me a response asking if I\'ve checked the velocity or the \"mixer\" in GS. Gigasampler just seems to be...quiet. I\'ve checked the most obvious things. The only thing that I know for sure is that this is not an uncommon problem with other users. Though, I have yet to hear of a good remedy for this problem. Someone out there must\'ve figured this out by now.

P.S. don\'t tell me to check Windows audio mixer either.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Definitely your Giga outputs will be quieter in comparison to your sequencer outputs. However, this isn\'t a defect, it\'s by design. Giga has a huge polyphony capability, and its output must necessarily be lower to accommodate this.

What you may wish to try is cutting the output levels of your sequencer, and boosting your overall soundcard/speaker levels to compensate. A more aggressive plan of action would be to ditch the Soundblaster, and obtain a more production-oriented audio interface. If you\'re not using an external mixer at all, that can present something of a problem. Because Giga is a high-end tool, there is really not a lot of accommodation there for a consumer-level, single soundcard with speakers type of rig. The more ideal situation is using a multiple output sound card with an external mixer, so that you can balance the outputs as you see fit.

In short, this is probably not the news you\'d want to hear, but I don\'t think there is an easy answer to your problem. A sampler will necessarily have a somewhat limited output, simply because the summed level of a thick program would easily clip with more gain.

Go Back to forum