• Register
  • Help

Topic: iMidi enigma

Question iMidi enigma

I'd like to know more about this GS 3 utility but infos are very thin about it. I saw a little of K2 scripting using their demo version, Giga has no demo version to get a picture of their product. Is there a site giving something more substantiel infos about iMidi ?

Los Angeles, CA

Re: iMidi enigma

iMIDI is kind of like the VSL performance tool, the Maple MIDI driver, or the API component of MIDI-OX. It's a middleman that intercepts MIDI input and modifies the corresponding MIDI output based on a set of configurable rules.

For example, hit the middle C key on your keyboard 5 times. With iMIDI, those 5 noteOn events are transformed into other noteOn events. Actual different notes appear at the output -- i.e. randomly [within a range], or stepping through a sequence, continuous controllers, etc.

In practical terms this means that you can simulate, for example, the up-down bowing on a cello. Hit a note once, and that's an upstroke. Hit the same note again and it's a downstroke. In such a case, a keyswitch layer in the GIG file could be engaged, in order to access separate banks of samples for upstrokes and downstrokes. But as a programmer you (ideally) only need to play individual notes as you would normally. Another example would be alternating between various hits of a snare drum. You keep hitting the same key associated with the snare, but each time you hit a different sample is played.

So basically, the iMIDI feature takes care of all the sample switching.

Hope this is helpful!
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    iMIDI is kind of like the VSL performance tool, the Maple MIDI driver, or the API component of MIDI-OX.

Hope this is helpful!
    Thanks Alewis,

I use MIDI-OX so your explanation looks very clear on what iMidi can do.

Hi Serge,

Note that iMIDI takes a different approach than K2's scripting. With the K2 scripts, you can make customized behavior and download scripts from others. With iMIDI you get what the Tascam Team codes and tests.

The advantage for K2 scripts is that you might benefit from the creativity of the whole community. Then again, the scripts might have bugs that could cause problems.

The advantage for iMIDI is that the iMIDI rules are generally requested by developers and implemented by those who best understand GS3 implementation and testing.

The rules include alternation modes, including round robin and random articulation selection, and mono modes, including legato with connecting notes, staccato, portamento.

You can save iMIDI templates and apply them to other libs and sample sets.

Also cool is the Dynamic Expression Filter (DEF) that lets you control expression without changing samples.

So far I've only scratched the surface, myself. I'm looking forward to digging in deeper.

Thanks John,

I see that iMidi is more restrictive than K2. On the other side the rules seem to offer many possibilities. Hope that Tascam elaborate on their site what can be done with iMidi.

Go Back to forum