• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Opinions on Notation programs wanted

Share/Bookmark

Opinions on Notation programs wanted

I do compose my music usually with a notation program and have licences for Sibelius, which I did use for the last three years, (Finale, not updated since 2001), and also the full version of Overture. Between 1988 and 2001 I did use exclusively Finale. After trying Sibelius, the ease of use and speed made me change to it. Overture is interesting, but the graphical aspect, which is also important to me, is not good enough at this time. Sibelius was fine until I did start to transfer or use the MIDI to make a production of my music, and especially with GPO it is not really practical. Now I did download the last demo of Finale, and after a few hours of trying out, I was quiet impressed by the qualities and improvement of the program.

What do other GPO - Notation Programs users do have for an opinion on this.

Sorry if this was already discussed.

Iwan

Re: Opinions on Notation programs wanted

Iwan, while respecting my code of secrecy, I would recommend waiting until Overture 4 is released before making any concrete desicions. I can't elaborate too much, but there is a lot going on and everyone that is involved is very excited about the direction the program is headed in.

I would agree with Joseph. Even with my limited understanding of notational software Overture seems to be a good investment.
    However, due to my limited abilities with notational software I have been forced to hire six monks to write my scores until such time Overture 4 is released.
    Styxx

Finale is still the standard. I have been using it since version 3. They keep up on their updates, and the notation looks FABULOUS. Although some publishing houses are using Sibelius, most still use Finale. I have used Sibelius, and Overture, and when it comes to professional notation, I can't see using anything else.

The improvements made on Finale since 2000 are pretty dramatic. It may be more complex, but so is notation. I would say firmly... go with Finale. If for no other reason than most publishing houses today accept Finale files.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

blah blah blah Finale Finale Finale...

Finale this and Finale that...

Geeze.

I use 2 of the 3 mentioned products. They all do the same thing in different ways. Each has different plusses and minuses. Take JB's advice, try the Overture 4 demo when released. Use whatever gets you to your goal as fast and easy as possible.

I'm always surprised how passionate people get about their choice of notation programs. They're all just tools. Use the tool that gives you the best fit.

Jeff

Absolutely Jeff. It is hard not to be passionate about a product that you love personally.

Very true words. The programs are tools. Use the one that best suites the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Iwan, while respecting my code of secrecy, I would recommend waiting until Overture 4 is released before making any concrete desicions. I can't elaborate too much, but there is a lot going on and everyone that is involved is very excited about the direction the program is headed in.
    Thanks Joseph,
    I am nor in a hurry, so I will wait and I have the intention to update my Overture to version 4 anyway. I am aware that there is something going on with Overture, and also that the MIDI concept is IMHO the right way to go for a notation software. In 3.6.1 the reserves I would make, is as already mentioned, the graphics (screen and print) and also the user interface which is partly not very user friendly. But I do have to add, that I did only spend about two weeks working with it.
    If you are involved in notation software, it may interest you that back in 1988 I was one of the very first Finale users. My book "Schule für Saxophon" http://www.iwanroth-sax.com/Text_E/Educational-E.htm is supposed to be the first music book of this kind ever made by an author himself with a computer software. It has been exposed at the Mac World expo in 1989, is still in print and has sold over 30'000 copies during the last 15 years.

iwan

In general (and this is very generalized) people come at notation programs in two directions: Visually and sonically.

Visually, there are professional individuals who need (perhaps absolutely need) to create notation that is, again visually speaking, note perfect. And more power to them. This is what they want and some programs provide it better than others.

On the other hand, if your interest is creating a sonic landscape via notation, then in my opinion, Overture 3 (and per the above, the soon to arrive Overture 4) is the way to go. Especially where GPO is involved.

Moreoever, Don the owner/software writer is taking this program in a 'sonic' direction that is in my opinion beyond anything that exists in the world today. I've said this before about Overture in different ways, so you may want to search what I've posted re: overture. You may also want to visit the Geniesoft website.

Good luck and Thanks!

Also, I'll have to disagree with all due respect to Mr. Turner. Of course software is a tool...but it's also much more than that. A hammer is always going to be a hammer and its functionality is impacted not one whit if other people decide to use the same brand hammer.

Software, on the other hand, is a living, evolving document. And as it changes, so hopefully does it continuously improve (unlike said hammer). Choosing the right software is like voting for the best candidate (or best future evolutionary path, if you will). By choosing overture, by knowing how close to consumer demand Don hews his vision and his software, I'm choosing not only what I consider to be the better software, but also the better evolutionary path.

Moreover, when enough people choose said path, so do we make it more likely that this software will continue to evolve (again, very much unlike said hammer).

Thus, this is not just about choosing a tool, but choosing a future musical path...and making this vision, this path more likely to be sustained.

As this is true for GPO (and all GPO cheerleaders), so in my opinion is it true for Overture.

Go Back to forum