• Register
  • Help

Topic: jabb quartet

jabb quartet

This is the first song that I wrote using JABB. I like the sound of JABB flugelhorn and used it in this quartet. I used the electric piano,upright bass and fusion drum set. Any kind of input would be appreciated.

http://www.katejesse.com/jazz quartet.mp3

Re: jabb quartet

A very solid start with JABB.

Some lovely idiomatic writing for the Instruments here, and some very nicely detailed passages for the Flugel.

On a rendering note, the drums may be a little bit too up-front. Particulalrly the hi-hats, and tamborine.

An excellent beginning, I hope we get to hear some more of your music soon.

regards Joe

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very nice writing, nice easy to listen to piece. I agree with Joe that the percussion feels like it is present in front of the Flugel. I know from my experience that the instrument is rather mellow and not easy to get to sound like it is soloing. So either it has to be brought up or the other down. Maybe a change in how the set is panned would help.

Thanks for the input. I hear what you are saying about the percussion. It is overbearing at times. I will back it down.

Nice, low-key piece. Very well produced by JABB. Maybe it was my player, but the last time the Flugel came (near the end), it sounded very faint.

Looks like you are having fun with a great program, Jeff. Hope you send us some more real soon.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

if anyone else listens to my song, I have applied some of the suggestions made. I have panned the flugelhorn and the drums and I evened out the horn volume at the end of the piece.

Great work, Jay

You seem to have a good grasp of JABB.. the ensemble of instrumnents blends very well together.

Perhaps the tamborine, is a touchhigh ( at least on my headphones)

Very nice work...I really enjoyed the unobtrusive melody... very relaxing.

I like this Jay - apart from the tamborine which still sounds far too loud to me - maybe just a little out of place in a jazz quartet? Nice piece though. I just got JABB last week - so watch this space!

Joe Cavanagh's one of the masters of this idiom, and I'm
    pleased he got by to give this a listen... he's a great guy
    to listen to for pointers on the nuances.

For myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere
    of the piece... and I thought the rendering was top-flight.
    That trumpet writing is golden, to my ear, and there's a
    clean, uncluttered cogency to the writing that I don't hear
    nearly enough of.

Great job on this!

Nice work, I think you will go on to write many more great piece with JABB! This is a classy and relaxing piece here. Wonderful work with the trumpet, it seems to have a cheery and catchy personality. Great work with this!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum