• Register
  • Help

Topic: Baffled - where did the disk space go?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Baffled - where did the disk space go?

Hi Gang,

In my studio I use both Mac's and PC's, they're on a network.

One of my PC's is pretty much dedicated to run either GigaStudio or Kontakt, and usually that's where I play my Garritan libraries from. I have two hard drives in it, each is partitioned. The C partition on one of the hard drives is about 10 GB in size, it contains the Windows XP operating system.. When I query Windows about this partition, it tells me I have used 9 GB and have 1 GB free space remaining.

But, when I explore that partition, and add up the space used by the folders it contains , it only amounts to about 4 GB.

What invisible stuff is taking up about 5 GB on that partition?

Thanks for any insights,
    Trond

Re: Baffled - where did the disk space go?

Trond,

Your swap file is probably taking up a couple GB's. Also, the deleted items folder will use up space up to a certain percentage of the drive. If set at 10% it will use 1 GB. This would account for a few GB's of room. Make sure you're also viewing hidden folders and files. The swap file is one of the hidden ones. You may be able to make the swap file smaller if you have 2 GB of memory to free up space.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tips. I was already viewing all hidden files and folders, so that was not the problem. After your note, I changed my recycle bin to simply remove upon deletion, versus the 10% setting it was at.(~1 GB) Also, I went in and changed the swap file to a custom manual setting of 1024 MB (previously min 2048 to max 4096 MB).
    The impact of these changes was to add about 1 GB of free space. So, there is something else using up 4 GB or so that I can't find still.

Trond

It is not enough to show hidden files and folders. You must also uncheck "Hide protected OS system files" - that's where the rest of the juice is. But, TAKE THE WARNING POP-UP TO HEART; it's there for a reason.

Nickie,

Thanks for reminding about the hidden OS files. I do this setting change with the hidden files one all the time without thinking!

Jim

Thanks Nickie and Jim,.

Bingo - there's something called hiberfil that uses 2.6 GB. Pagefile uses 1 GB now.

Since I'm running out of space on this partition, now my next question is whether I can increase its size (by, say, shrinking a contiguous partition) without having to reload everything from scratch?

Trond

You can use a program like Partition Manager to expand/shrink partitions (plus a lot more). You won't have to reload anything, but it can take considerable time, especially shrinking, since the entire partition has to be relocated (compressed). It might be a good idea to defrag first.

Make sure you make a complete backup or image of your partition before using partition changing utilities. I've had partitions totally trashed during the resize.

Jim

Go Back to forum