• Register
  • Help

Topic: Christmas music doesn't like the iPod

Share/Bookmark

Christmas music doesn't like my iPod

Has anyone had trouble uploading the mp3s from the Christmas album from iTunes to their iPod? Although the mp3s play fine in iTunes, iTunes lists the sample rates as "Unknown", and thus they can't be uploaded to an iPod.

I'm sure that when the CD is released, cophying them in the usual manor into iTunes and then onto the iPod will work just fine. Also, while the titles show up just fine in the file names of the pieces, and the mp3s seem to be tagged properly, a couple of the titles do not show up in iTunes, and just the generic track number appears.

The workaround I've found that solves this problem is to convert the files to another format such as AIFF, and then load them into iTunes. iTunes must retag them or something, but then the sample rate is shown and they upload to my iPod just fine.

I hope this helps anyone who might be having this problem. I use a little shareware program called Switch. It is for both Mac and PC. It's a jem of a little program and is under $30. Here is a link.

http://nch.com.au/switch/

Cheers, Karl

Re: Christmas music doesn't like the iPod

This needs to be investigated, and pronto!

Dan Kury did the MP3 encoding in iTunes 6 for Mac to begin with. I pulled them into iTunes 7 for Mac to add ID3 tags.

I have NOT experienced this problem of yours.

What version of iTunes are you running, and is it Mac or Windows? While you're at it, which model iPod? Further information needed.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Karl, I am unable to reproduce your problem.

I deleted the album from my iTunes 7 on the Mac, then deleted the album from my iPod Mini.

I made fresh downloads of all 18 tracks from http://www.garritan.com/Xmas.html

I checked the ID3 tags with a third party editor

I loaded the newly downlaoded songs into my iTunes and iPod.

They all played correctly.

HOWEVER Tracks 4 and 10 from the web site lack ID3 tags. But I repeat, they all play correctly from iTunes and the iPod.

Karl, please send me the particulars on your system.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams

Karl, please send me the particulars on your system.
    Hi Wheat,

I was really surprised too. I have a very clean running Mac G4, O.S. 10.4.8 and iTunes 7.0.2. I felt it was really strange too. As I said in earlier post, I checked the mp3 tags, I use MP3 Raged to do this, and found them fine. I downloaded the mp3's in response to Gary's little newsletter from his site.

The mp3s worked fine in iTunes even though in the Sample Rate column iTunes listed them all as "Unknown". I only had problems when trying to sync my 5G iPod. It simply ignored them.

Dan mentioned that for he heard of someone who told him that some of the titles would not show up in iTunes. I found that two of the ones I downloaded didn't. I deal with these little files all the time, and never have any problems. I figured that if I was having the problem someone else might be. Oh well, if not that's great.

But you know, now that I think of it, When I start up my computer it usually says, "Hi Karl", but this morning it said, "What the blank are you doing here again?" Just one of those mysteries of life.

By the way Wheat, you did a wonderful job on the liner notes.

Karl

Gary Garritan and I have confirmed that the wrong versions of the MP3 files for "Pat-A-Pan" and "Deck the Halls" were posted on the download page.

These were correct MP3-wise but they had no ID3 tags, so when you imported them into iTunes they would just be labeled "Track 04" and "Track 10".

Gary informs me that he has deleted those files and uploaded correct ones, so you can try it again.

MP3 ID3 tags are a PAIN to deal with.

In the future I'm going to use a third-party shareware utility other than iTunes to tag the MP3s. The problem with iTunes is that it changes the name of each file you import to its own naming convention. When you export the files out of iTunes, you have to re-name the files to what they were beforehand if you want them to match the HREF URLs in your HTML code. A couple of changes of case, or a "-" instead of a "_" and your HREFs and download URLs get scrambled.

This year I tried to be as systematic as I could, but a couple of typos crept in and it was a PAIN.

Thanks for the encouragement about the liner notes. This year all of the 18 composers were so nice and helpful in providing prompt and detailed information. All I had to do was compile things and do a little style editing. This was my way of getting myself into the holiday spirit.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

I still don't know what's wrong with your iTunes or iPod.

Maybe you need to do something funky with deleting your cache files on the Mac and rebooting. Be careful. Try a safe utility like Cocktail

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.html

The other thing is to make sure the firmware in your iPod is the latest version. There's an Apple download for that.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

You can also perform a reset on the iPod and the try to load the files again. As a last resort you could make sure all the music on your iPod exists as copies in your iTunes, and then re-initialize the iPod and load all the music in again. Kinda drastic and a measure of last resort.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

I'm not going to worry about it. I'm just glad that no one else is having the problem. I run all scripts often, as well as clean my system cache and rebuild permissions. I have my ram maxed out and do everything I can to get the most out of this aging Mac. I've been in love with Apple products since my first Apple II. I'm usually pretty comfortable finding problems. Just for fun later tonight, I'll download the files again, deleting the old ones from iTunes and give it a go once more.

Last Spring when I was collecting and tagging demos for Gary, I looked at a number of mp3 tag editors. I found MP3 Rage to be about the most complete for very little cash. Give it a looksee, I think you'll find it great.

Wheat, it's great to have you around.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Last Spring when I was collecting and tagging demos for Gary, I looked at a number of mp3 tag editors. I found MP3 Rage to be about the most complete for very little cash.
    I'll check that one out. I also found a $12 utility that I like called ID 3 Editor from www.pa-software.com. Its only function is to add ID3 data; it has no audio functions.
    http://www.pa-software.com/accessori...?prod=BC3B2E3A

And David Battino of O'Reilly.net reminded me that I could insert my liner notes for each song into the ID3 "Comments" or "Lyrics" field of the MP3, so that the liner notes would always accompany the actual audio files. Why didn't I think of that? I'll save this insight for next year.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Looks like a little gem. If you get it, let us know if you like it.

Karl

Go Back to forum