• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: mixing headphones?

Share/Bookmark

mixing headphones?

Hi,
    My wife just give me a $200 budget to buy a new headphones due to a nearly damage headphone I got now.
    Any recommendation?
    My music are mostly classical so I'd like a flat response, no leakage & comfortable headphone.

Thanks.

hc.

Re: mixing headphones?

I love Sennheiser.

Dan Rubio

Although I do not have them, nor have I tested them (though I hope to get them some day), the Sennheiser HD580 headphones are very highly regarded for classical music.

Better yet, they even fit within your budget.

Jim

What about the AKG K240 or K271?

Yeah,......my budget is increased to $300.

hc.

Yes, actually I always monitor my mixing thru the speakers but sometimes (a lot of times I guess as I have my studio in the living room) when the speakers is not allowed, at least I have something to listen to.
    So the headphone is only used for composing mostly & sometimes mixing too, but I just want to get the most out of the budget.
    What is the different between the AKG K240 & K240 DF?

hc.

I'm using AKG K20 DF to compose and mix as I go.
    I check the final render in Mackie HR824s and do minor ( very minor ) tweaks and all is good to go. I get it almost perfect in the phones with no work at all other than the work of writing the music.
    They're discontinued, but I loved the first pair so much I bought a second used, so I'd never have to be without.

2 weeks later I realize ....
    I also have 1 pair of HD280 sitting in the vocal booth.
    I got them because they're very closed and don't leak as much as the AKGs.
    However I rarely use them and even forgot I had them.
    They're too tight on my head, the sound isn't nearly as accurate in my opinion as the AKG K240DF.
    I'd not be able to mix in the 280s after using the AKGs.

Senns always seem to me to be marketed towards consumers, not people interested in accurate studio monitoring. That, and audiophiles who want the best quality sound, not necessarily the most "true" sound. Beyerdynamic makes a series of DT headphones that are specifically meant for studio use. I just got a pair of DT-880s recently that are absolutely wonderful, and I now do 100% of my mixing on them. They are, however, semi-open so there's not much noise cancellation and there is a bit of leakage. Not a problem for me, because I don't do any recording at my computer; however, I believe the DT-990s are closed.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielR
    I love Sennheiser.

Dan Rubio
    I do love the Sennheisers but as Andrew Aversa points out, Beyerdynamic is a consideration but instead of the DT-880 I might suggest the closed Beyerdynamic 770 Pro or 770 M at about $240.

There is also the Sony MDR 7506 which offers alot of value at about $100.

Dan Rubio

I use two pairs of Senn HD 280 Pros - one at work and one at home. I also am well acquainted with the Sony 7506 sound.

For live tracking or field recording for video, many like the 7506s. They're a bit scooped and can cut through the ambient sound. The Senns are flatter, and are better suited for mixing. They're not the prettiest sounding headphones, but for mixing, that's not the point. A flat response is.

Hi all,
    Thanks for the inputs & I think I would like to get the Sennheiser HD580.
    I checked there is huge price differences for this model brand new, between Amazon ($124.99) & Sweetwater ($199.99).
    Sweetwater cannot beat Amazon for this, my sales engineer said it's way below the cost.
    I am tempted to buy it right away at Amazon but .....do you guys know why it is so cheap at Amazon when Sweetwater cannot give that price to me?

hc.

Go Back to forum