• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mockup - Journey to the Island (HELP)

Share/Bookmark

Mockup - Journey to the Island (HELP)

Hey all,
    Some time ago I decided I wanted to try and make a mockup of Journey to the Island from Jurassic Park. At first I wanted to do the whole thing, but the notation was pretty much murder:P, So I just slapped on an ending.
    However, as allways, I'm not happy with the way it sounds, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to give some advice on how to improve it, and get it to sound more like you hear in the movie(if at all possible), or just some general advice on how to get a bigger fuller sound.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gf6ymh

Sorry for using sendspace, I don't have anywhere else to upload, but I hope you'll still give it a listen

Thumbs up Re: Mockup - Journey to the Island (HELP)

LOL... I think you're a little to hard on yourself...sounds really good from here!

What library did you use?.. What daw did you use?...

The weakest part were the strings(at around 1:45) as is always the case but I'm being a little picky here...

I'm not sure you should try to make it sound bigger.. maybe a little but not too much!

Great job!

Re: Mockup - Journey to the Island (HELP)

I agree that this generally sounds quite good. The trumpets are especially nice.

The ends of some of the phrases end a bit too abruptly and could be feathered more naturally (listen to the violins starting around 1:42). Also you could (in a few places) try layering in some solo violin tracks out of sync with the main track to give the ensemble a sloppier quality. Also the harp sounds a bit drier than I expected but this may be the way it is on the original movie soundtrack.

This must have been a huge amount of work and you should be proud of it!

Best,
    Jay

I think it sounds great!

What library/libraries did you use? How long did it take for you to make this mockup?

Cheers...
    Sh...

Hey, as coming from one who has listened to that track literally hundreds of times, that's a damn fine mockup. Like the others, the strings around 1:40 could use some caressing, but only because that's their shining moment in the piece. The rest sounds very good. If you want it to sound more like the recording, it seems it's really a matter of balance and bite. I think I remember the recording to have more 'brass' bite throughout the first minute or so, especially the trumpet around 1:00. But i could be wrong. Your strings sound really wonderful overall. It almost seems like it's just an eq thing to make it sound more like the recording -- more contrast in the equilization.

Well, I don't know. It sounds very good as is and certainly a nice mockup of "Journey to the Island".

Mahlon Bouldin

thanks for the kind comments, I'll certainly take the advice to heart.
    The part that took the longest was notating it all on Finale, sitting and listening to the recording and getting it right. I know there are midis out there but they're always sound wrong in the woodwinds and strings to me, so I wanted to try and do it myself from scratch.
    Maybe it is unrealistic to expect to make samples sound like the recording, but I've just listened to many demos here on these forums that sounds damn close to a real orchestra using the same samples, so I get a little annoyed with myself when I can't do the same :P
    well, maybe John Williams isn't the easiest to mockup as well?

I made it on a single 2gb ram machine with the following samples:

Woodwinds: Piccolo, flute, oboe, english Horn, clarinet and bassoon - all EWQLSO gold - not pro xp, I don't really have the money lately, and I'm a little more interested in true strike 2

Horns: Project SAM and Sonic Imp... SoniVox 4 horns patches. I think these two libraries have a sound that is very similar, and therefore complement each other nicely.

Trumpets: Project SAM solo trumpet (from the trumpets library) with SoniVox 2 trumpet patches. When layered I think they give a nice trumpet sound, I just wish I could get it bit more brassy like you hear in the JP recordings, it just always end up worse when I try to EQ though :/

Trombones & Tuba: Are all Sonivox.

Percussion: TrueStrike 1, not much say about it, other than it's just great. mostly stage mics, except the piatti is far, and the timpani is m, which I don't know what stands for, but sounds great.

Harp: this is also EWQLSO gold

Strings: and again EWQLSO gold

because EWQLSO has natural ambience, I've never considered adding extra reverb to those samples, but I hear what you are saying, the harp does sound a little dry, and I also hear you about the strings. I'll definitely try layering with solo strings and see how that turns out. But how do I "feather" them more? more release trail? or sort of fade them out?

I usually use midi controller #11 (expression). I draw the controller in my DAW often creating a subtle fade on the last note of the phrase. Getting it to sound natural can be tricky but if you experiment with the shape of the drawn controller curve, you should be able to find something that works.

Best,
    Jay

Wanted to check it out, K, but sendspace kind of insisted I join... oh well...
    Best.

Thanks for the tip Jay, I'll try that

Jibrish: hmmm, that's odd, I haven't joined sondspace and I'm both able to upload and download. If you scroll down, isn't there a small red arrow pointing to a download link?

Well, yeah, that is odd... so I tried again and this time it worked... weird. Anyway, nice work on the score. It has a good overall 'played' feel to it.

Best.

Go Back to forum