• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A question about the GPO/JABB player performance

Share/Bookmark

A question about the GPO/JABB player performance

How much performance loss is there if I create 8 instances of a GPO player with 1 instrument in each instead of creating 1 player with 8 instruments in it? Any idea?

Re: A question about the GPO/JABB player performance

Depends. On the typical computer one can purchase from Wal-Mart nowadays...none. On older computers (from the past couple of years), little or none.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Hello, karvasika

I'm curious why you would rather have 8 instances of Kontact with only one instrument loaded in each, instead of loading all 8 instruments into one Kontact--?

Perhaps you feel there's more control available that way, when working inside a sequencer such as Sonar?

You do know that inside the Kontact players, you can assign each of the 8 slots to a different pair of stereo outs? I've seen a number of people trying to deal with all 8 instruments coming through one audio channel and being frustrated--because they weren't aware that they could assign each to a dedicated channel. I thought perhaps that was the case here?

rbowser

There is one advantage to using several instances of the player, and it has to do with the sustain pedal. Each player instance can interpret the sustain pedal in one way (sustain, sustain and CC, CC no sustain, etc). Loading a flute and a piano in separate players is advisable to take advantage of the legato in the flute and the sustain on the piano.

Reegs

Reegs, aren't those settings global? Even if I have two players and you change the midi pedal settings, they sync. I guess you'd have to make a copy of the plugin file to have kinda 2 separate plugins and then they wouldn't share the settings. At least it was so in Cubase on my PC (I don't have it anymore).

The reason why I'd want 8 separate players is that I don't need any routing that way. If I have my flute player in the flute track (I use Ableton Live), that's where the sound comes out. Instead, if I create a track with a player with 8 instruments inside, I have to route stuff and have extra tracks for the players. I need 1 midi track to contain the midi data, 1 track containing the instrument (8 of them) and possible even 1 track for the stereo output. It's much cleaner when there would be 1 player / track. Then I only need 1 track for all those purposes.

Unfortunately, I tried this in Ableton Live and it's impossible due the high processing power demand, since having 8 instruments in 1 player took my processor to 10% idle / 34% playing all, but having 8 players with 1 instrument took my processor 65% idle / even more playing (don't remember anymore). This isn't possible, when the idle gets so high already with 8 instruments. So I guess there is quite a performance cap.. or could it just be Ableton Live?

Can someone test (even the idle processor consumption) how much difference there is between 8 instruments in 1 player vs 8 instruments in 8 players (1 instrument / player)?

The sustain pedal settings are global. So all instances will have the same setting. One thing that other users have done is to make a copy of the .dll file for the vst plugin. It then sees them as 2 different instruments and they each can have different sustain pedal settings. I use Kontakt for loading my instruments with the legato setting and then load instruments such as the Piano in the player and use the sustain option.

Jim

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was within the instance.

What Haydn said. I renamed the dll to "Copy of Personal Orchestra". THe copy is the one I use for piano. It still seems that when I later reopen the cubase project that contains both versions, I always have to reset the pedal option on the copy but then I'm good to go. Hope this helps.

Eric

Hello again, all

I've read before about making separate .dll files, so that one can always choose whether to load the regular sustain flavor, or MIDI control flavor, but I've never done that.

I use Sonar Home Studio 4XL, which requires a VST adapter to be run every time a new VST has been added. So, I guess if I made a duplicate copy of the GPO .dll, re-naming it would work, and the program would find and be able to use the two different files? I tend to work with piano first, then bounce it to audio, proceeding from there with the orchestra, and fresh instances of Kontact. But for pieces requiring only a few instruments, which my computer could handle actually playing in real time, having two different versions of Kontact running would certainly be useful.

Karvasika, thanks for answering my question. I'm supposing things work sufficiently different with Ableton as compared to Sonar that I can't be sure of how things work for you. But as it is, I'm not understanding some of what you're saying:

"...The reason why I'd want 8 separate players is that I don't need any routing that way. If I have my flute player in the flute track (I use Ableton Live), that's where the sound comes out. Instead, if I create a track with a player with 8 instruments inside, I have to route stuff and have extra tracks for the players. I need 1 midi track to contain the midi data, 1 track containing the instrument (8 of them) and possible even 1 track for the stereo output. It's much cleaner when there would be 1 player / track. Then I only need 1 track for all those purposes..."
    In Sonar and Cubase, there have to be two tracks for VSTis. One for the MIDI data, one for the audio out put. Do you mean in Ableton, one can have just one track? How is it that the other sequencer apps don't work that way?

You're saying you could need Three tracks--? How is that, when the second VSTi track is an audio track which is carrying the instrument's sound?

Is it because Ableton is loop based, and you're working in a separate window for the MIDI tracks-sending the data wherever you want? In which case, that's still two tracks--one for MIDI and one for the instrument's audio.

I have templates for my most often used GPO set ups. The routing work isn't a pain, because it's part of the template. 8 separate MIDI tracks appear already set to their discrete audio outs--off I go. If I'm starting from scratch, setting up the routing needed still only takes a minute.

And if the screen is looking too cluttered, I simply pull up the screen which tells Sonar which tracks I actually want to see. I do that on a routine basis, hiding the Woods and Brass tracks while I work on the Strings, for instance.

All of this must be different from what you're working with in Ableton, so I admit I don't totally understand what your problems are.

rbowser

I'm supprised that we have to resort to making copies of dll's when it surly could have been implemented in the player in some way.

David

Go Back to forum