• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please guide me as to where to start

Share/Bookmark

Please guide me as to where to start

Hello Everybody,

My name is Brian and I'm the new kid on the block here in the forums. Looks like a great group of people here.

I just installed GPO last night and was thrilled to get it to work in Cakewalk Home Studio XL. I'm not a keyboard player per se (guitar is my favored instrument), and in fact I create most of my compositions in the piano roll. This has been great for my little midi compositions, but now I want to raise the bar and really learn how to use GPO to its fullest potential.

So, my question is, are there any tutorials out there for ultra beginners? I really don't know how to go about using portamento, the mod wheel, etc. to create realistic dynamics. If anyone would point me to the "GPO for Dummies" room I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks so much for reading.
    Brian

Re: Please guide me as to where to start

Maybe you misted those?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=39

It's right here.. look for tips/thechniques & tutorials... that should help.

Good luck!

Yes, indeed I did miss that! That's what happens when you work 16 hours straight.

Thanks for the reply.

Welcome to the forum Brian! Glad you can join us. It certainly is a great group of people here.

As Mr. Geronimo pointed out, we have a Tips and Tutorial section on our forum to help you get the most out of GPO. There are many knowledgable and helpful people there and our programmers frequent there also.

Also, another resource is our Tutorials on our website. There are over 50 tutorials, mostly done by users, which provide information a wide range of topics related to GPO. Here's the link http://garritan.com/tips_tutorials.html

I hope you share the music you produce with us in the GPO Listening Room. And of course feel free to contact me directly should you have any questions.

Happy holidays!

Gary Garritan

What a nice welcome!

Also, there's 52 of our tutorials over at Audio Force: http://www.audioforce.net/

Thanks for the warm and informative welcome, Gary. I just bought a midi controller tonight, set it up, and now I'm ready to dig in and get some work done.

I'm looking forward to working through the tutorials and working toward mastering orchestration. Tonight, just for fun, I came up with a fairly convincing rendering of ELO's "Tightrope" prologue (because it was easy for a first project).

Today ELO, tomorrow R Vaughan Williams.

Happy Holidays to you, too!

Brian

Go Back to forum