• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How suited is SONAR6 for movie post-production?

Share/Bookmark

How suited is SONAR6 for movie post-production?

Hello!

I could not find a "Sequencer Software" subforum so I dared to post in here.

Since I am growing increasingly unhappy with Steinberg's bad treatment of their customers, I started investigating a switch to SONAR6. Now I happen to (ab)use my Cubase SX2 sometimes for doing basic sound postproduction for amateur movies (basic mixing, re-recording and sound effects, adding and mixing sound effects tracks, final mixdowns and dubbings) and it works reasonably well, considering it was never meant for that.

The pressing question is: How well would I be able to do this after switching to SONAR6? Do you guys have experience with this?

Thanks for reading this!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: How suited is SONAR6 for movie post-production?

Guten tag and hello!

I´m not doing very much sound post production in SONAR, but everything you can do in cubase you also can do in SONAR. I tried both and SONAR is much easier to handle and has a clearer structure. (of course a personal oppinion). SONAR is surely a very good alternative to cubase.

best,
    Michael

ps: sehr coole musik!

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Hello!

I could not find a "Sequencer Software" subforum so I dared to post in here.

Since I am growing increasingly unhappy with Steinberg's bad treatment of their customers, I started investigating a switch to SONAR6. Now I happen to (ab)use my Cubase SX2 sometimes for doing basic sound postproduction for amateur movies (basic mixing, re-recording and sound effects, adding and mixing sound effects tracks, final mixdowns and dubbings) and it works reasonably well, considering it was never meant for that.

The pressing question is: How well would I be able to do this after switching to SONAR6? Do you guys have experience with this?

Thanks for reading this!
    I do believe a demo is available.

Have you considered also trying Vegas 7? It's a video app but many like it for it's audio features.

Sonar's great for that and even for sound design/effects. Wonderful multitracking, bus structure, plugins, audio editing tools, has VST support now... can't go wrong
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

I scored a game trailer last week with Sonar 5 Producer Edition.

It was effortless.

I used vsti instruments, sample sets with Kontakt 2 (pmi emperor and KHSO Emerald) and Stylus RMX

Sonar has a built in video track and is frame accurate - I believe it even locks to smpte, etc.

It was easy and a no brainer.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    I scored a game trailer last week with Sonar 5 Producer Edition.

It was effortless.

I used vsti instruments, sample sets with Kontakt 2 (pmi emperor and KHSO Emerald) and Stylus RMX

Sonar has a built in video track and is frame accurate - I believe it even locks to smpte, etc.

It was easy and a no brainer.

Mike
    I love your studio location....
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

My studio location used to be a mile away from my house in my RECORDING STUDIO.

However, three very nice hurricanes decided to remove my roof.

After my necessary re-location, I decided to only record corporate and multimedia clients, or clients from other states/countries and no more local bands - hence not requiring a separate recording facility.

It's paid off more than I can say. In my recording studio, recording bands and even church choirs and such, I was stiffed left and right. Businesses simply have more money and they pay you IN ADVANCE!

I have plenty of clients that come in and record - and have zero problems with the fact they have to do so in a nice, treated room in my house.

I mostly work with motivational speakers, narrators and multimedia, games, spots, etc.

Now I love what I do.

BTW, if that was meant as sarcasm, you would be surprised just how serious a job you can get in a home project studio - and how powerful a computer music network in your house can allow you to do almost anything imagineable. Never judge someone based on their location.

Hell, I was being funny when I typed that - I thought, who the heck cares where I am. I always seem to be in my house anyway!

You know what else. I get to see my son on the bus every morning and take him off the bus every afternoon. Then we get to spend father/son time after that for hours. I LOVE it. I would not have it any other way. In between I work. Late at night I work.

Mike

Hi and thanks for your replies!

@kitekrazy: The suggestion with the demo is great, but unfortunately the guys from Cakewalk don't offer one (yet?!?). The last demo was for Sonar 4 and that did not work with my soundcard (M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96). I *could* download a cracked copy of the full DVD from various filesharing networks but would prefer a real demo... Maybe they actually want people to do that? It would save them the work of preparing a demo...

I will also check out Vegas. It is from Sony, right?

@Will Roget: Many people claim it's great and I DO believe you. On the other hand I remember reading for years how flaky and bad the VSTi/video support in previous versions of Sonar was. Lots of people in forums were unhappy with that. It would be great if you could confirm that it is actually working now.

@karmacomposer: Thanks for your reply! However I seem to have made my point unclear: What I want to do with Sonar (besides composing for picture) is sound-design, audio-postproduction and re-recording, dubbing, mixing, foley, adding sound effects tracks, ... In one word: Complete audio post-production for video projects, as someone might do e.g. in Nuendo (Which is some price-leagues out of reach).

Thanks again for the input! However even more replies would be great! Maybe someone has reallife experience with what I try to do?

@Michael: Schoenen Gruss nach Linz! If I would live closer to you, I'd visit your studio and get some firsthand impressions from someone who is working with SONAR. Did I just invite myself? (Just joking!)
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

@Michael: Schoenen Gruss nach Linz! If I would live closer to you, I'd visit your studio and get some firsthand impressions from someone who is working with SONAR. Did I just invite myself? (Just joking!)
    hehe. Would be no problem actually, if i would be at home more often...

btw: the last demo of cakewalk is SONAR 5PE
    http://www.download.com/Sonar-Produc...ml?tag=lst-0-4

best,
    michael

Exclamation Re: How suited is SONAR6 for movie post-production?

@karmacomposer: Thanks for your reply! However I seem to have made my point unclear: What I want to do with Sonar (besides composing for picture) is sound-design, audio-postproduction and re-recording, dubbing, mixing, foley, adding sound effects tracks, ... In one word: Complete audio post-production for video projects, as someone might do e.g. in Nuendo (Which is some price-leagues out of reach).
    As a Cubase and Nuendo user, I've got to say that you really, really, really should look into the Cubase 4 upgrade. For sound design and foley it's worth the upgrade price just to have Sound Frame/Media Bay. And honestly, unless you need something specific in Nuendo (like 9-pin/DeckLink support, some additional post/surround plugins or one of the more esoteric hi-def frame rates) Cubase really has everything you need. There are lots and lots of Nuendo 3 users that are taking advantage of the cross-grade to Cubase 4, with good reason.

Also, I have the Vegas+DVD combo, and use it all the time for cutting up scenes and carding my demo cues to render and burn to a DVD - but I don't think I could ever use it for a MIDI mockup environment. Even with their recent addition of VSTi support, the editing is still *way* too rudimentary. Maybe v7 fixes some of that - I honestly haven't had time to upgrade and look at it. They have their own Media Manager tool (that's based on .NET/MSSQL) that lots of people swear by, which can be an option for you if you're interested in organizing a large sound FX/foley library and are dead-set against Cubase.

I'm *not* saying that Sonar is *not* suited to the tasks that you list, on the contrary, I have no idea how v6 looks and feels (I've not even looked at a screen shot). I just wanted to caution you against "the grass is always greener" effect.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum