• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Yet another computer bites the dust.

Share/Bookmark

Angry Yet another computer bites the dust.

So, my latest music computer has been toast for weeks now. This is the 5th computer I've gone through in the last 2 years. They just keep dying...

It'll probably be awhile before I can scrounge together the parts to get it working again.

The question is, how should I spend the downtime?

Become a martial arts master?
    Build a castle out of jello?
    The worlds longest slip-n-slide?
    Listen to some music for once?

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Re: Yet another computer bites the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    The question is, how should I spend the downtime?
    Get a mac?

sorry to hear that.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Sorry to hear your news, but as Chris said above...

I am a Mac convert and last night did some work on my website on my windows laptop.. boy was that hard work....

IE7 is just far to slow and it's new layout is awful.

I now have a Mac, G5 Quad for music and it works very nicely indeed and with the updates from logic mean atlast I can use FOUR cores and not a PC's TWO!

Macs are more expensive than a PC but can also support 16GB ram..
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

I am sorry to hear that Von Richter, but I have to break a lance for PC. I have the same PC for 2 years now. It is an ASUS P4 3Gz with 3 GB of Kingston RAM. I am very happy with it. I have the same problems that a Mac user can have. In fact, no problem.

Some secrets that are useful to me:

1.-I don't use it to connect to internet
    2.-I don't use it to play games
    3.-Only for working.

Regarding the RAM I am looking forwar to Windows Vista.

I don't mean that PC is better than Mac or the opposite. You can work with both.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    So, my latest music computer has been toast for weeks now. This is the 5th computer I've gone through in the last 2 years. They just keep dying...
    5 computers in 2 years? What the h3ll are you using them for, target practice?

My suggestion is to find out why you're going through so many machines. If you follow others' advice and buy a new mac, and your computer problems are power-related, you could end up owning a $2500 doorstop with a little Apple logo on it...

Have the electricity in your house or studio checked -- the wife and I went through two microwaves a few years back before an electrician fixed faulty lighting connection on the same circuit. That was a pricey lesson.

Also make sure whatever power supply (PSU) you're using gives enough headroom for all the components you have in the computer.

I've had the same PC for 5 or so years now... same mobo, same Antec power supply, upgraded everything else though. If you use really really really cheap parts, like cheap power supply, then you could cause yourself some headaches. Other than that, a single machine with name-brand parts should only require a disk replacement over a 5 year period.

Oh... while the electrician is looking at your electrical you should practice your scales.

Following on from Kbaccki's advice, also get a surge prtector from your local pC store... that can be the difference between toast and not buying a computer for 4 years...
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    Have the electricity in your house or studio checked -- the wife and I went through two microwaves a few years back before an electrician fixed faulty lighting connection on the same circuit. That was a pricey lesson.

Also make sure whatever power supply (PSU) you're using gives enough headroom for all the components you have in the computer.
    Good advice kbaccki! One of the first PC I had long ago died because the power supply was old and not enough for all drives and devices I had installed.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

You're leaving them turned on 24-7?

What part of it died? What parts of your previous dead computers died?

fizbin

I would suggest buying a customized music computer from one of the companies that will provide great support if something goes wrong with it.

The companies below are big enough that you can count on them being in business for a number of years to come AND provide good, quick support:

Sweetwater
    http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/index.php

Vision DAW
    http://www.visiondaw.com/productcart/pc/vdawIndex.asp

Rain Recording
    http://www.rainrecording.com/

Vision DAW appears to be located in the LA area, in La Mirada, CA.

Go Back to forum