• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius & JABB partial sounds

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius & JABB partial sounds

Thanks to previous help (see thread Am I misguided?) and James Humberstone's tutorial on GPO/Sibelius 3, I have had some success in getting JABB sounds to play in Sibelius 4. But while the JABB Steinway and upright bass sound great either tested in the kontakt player or upon sibelius playback, I can't get the woodwinds to work ie they don't sound at all when tested in the JABB kontakt player or upon playback in Sibelius even though the sibelius mixer shows that they are working. Also it makes no difference which channel I put the woodwinds into. What I have done is:

opened GPO studio and player 1 - JABB
    opened Sibelius
    under devices all GPO studio are set at yes, everything else at no
    started a score, entered some notes in each stave using the mouse
    opened sibelius mixer
    loaded a jabb trumpet in channel 1 and sax into channel 2, steinway in 3&4, bass in 5
    checked that sibelius mixer indicates corresponding GPO player, channel and instrument
    played back the score - only get bass and piano

Any ideas? Also forgive my ignorance but a prevous reply told me to adjust the CC1 level - I have no idea what this means

Pete
    Pete Canter

Re: Sibelius & JABB partial sounds

OK - seem to have solved my own problem - it was just the mod wheel controlling volume - setting GPO to ignore mod wheel sorts that out automatically. Must say that the lite version of tenor sax 4 is very good! Pete
    Pete Canter

Hi, Pete

You said, "...setting GPO to ignore mod wheel sorts that out automatically..."

That seems a radical and counter-productive way to deal with the problem you were having, not hearing the woodwinds. It was simply the #1 issue all new Garritan users have--really grasping that the manuals are straight-on serious when they explain how cc#1 is the volume control and essential to use for making dynamically musical tracks.

If you record a bit of cc#1 just ahead of an instrument's first entrance, then you're set to hear the instrument, and then to continuously vary that cc#1 volume level throughout the piece, just as "real" instrument do.

To set things so the volume variations are ignored is just the sure way to get flat, synthetic sounding tracks--!

Note--people using Sonar products, like me, need to be sure that in the project settings window, that the option to "zero controllers when playing stops" is UN-checked. Otherwise, as that option title indicates, cc#1 (and all controllers) will keep going back to a default of Zero (off).

rbowser

Thanks for that advice. I'm not sure that you have grasped the true depths of my ignorance. What is a cc controller? I suspect it is something to do with a midi controller keyboard. Most of the time I am writing stuff using step input to sibelius using the mouse and computer keyboard.
    Pete Canter

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Canter
    Thanks for that advice. I'm not sure that you have grasped the true depths of my ignorance. What is a cc controller? I suspect it is something to do with a midi controller keyboard. Most of the time I am writing stuff using step input to sibelius using the mouse and computer keyboard.
    Hi Pete. Sounds like you may want to do some reading on the basics of MIDI. Lots of info on the net. Here's a place to start:

http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_...MIDI/MIDI.html

HTH

Paul
    AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
    XP Pro 2GB Ram
    80GB OS, 160GB Audio, 320GB Samples
    Delta 66 Omni Sonar 5PE GPO, JABB

Go Back to forum