• Register
  • Help

Topic: Would this set up work?

Share/Bookmark

Would this set up work?

I am building a hybrid Mac/PC studio with the PC dedicated to GS160. I\'ve done some recording but this is my first attempt at actually building a studio of my own.
    I am looking to use an M-Audio card, but am unsure which would be best.
    I plan on purchasing a MOTU 828 and a MOTU Express XT USB. I also have a Midiman 4x4 USB Controller. I would like to link all of this into Digital Performer on my Mac.

Would this be a correct setup and signal flow? I am a little confused.

MOTU828 links both computers via S/PDIF. This would grab the audio output from GS, right?

Express XT connects to Mac via USB. How many outs to Midiman 4x4? 4x4 connects via USB to PC. Is this reasonable instead of buying a card with onboard ports? Latency issues?

This would lead me to believe that an M Audio DiO 2448 would be all I need. Do I need any features beyond S/PDIF ability?

Re: Would this set up work?

The Dio 2448 is not GSIF compatible -- in fact, it doesn\'t work at all with GS. If you get the Audiophile instead, you\'ll not only have S/PDIF i/o, but analog i/o and MIDI i/o as well. Latency is as low as 6ms (measured) with WDM drivers under Windows 98SE or Windows ME (Windows 2000 or XP adds about 5-10ms to the MIDI input from what I\'ve measured because of all the additional layers it goes through). The price of the Audiophile is around 50% more than the 2448 (which is discontinued).

I sure people will pipe in with other suggestions. Terratec seems to get mentioned a lot as well as Hoontech as sources for low cost GSIF compatible cards with S/PDIF.

What about Luna at 330$ ?

It has Analog IO, SPDIF IO, Midi In/out, ultra low latencies (3ms), Asio1&Asio2 with 64 channels, GSIF with 32channels and low latencies 3ms), 24bits/96khz, 16stereo/32mono Mixer with 4aux, effects, synth, routing, all in real times?

Have a look at them at least!

Originally posted by marcuspocus:
    What about Luna at 330$ ?

It has Analog IO, SPDIF IO, Midi In/out, ultra low latencies (3ms), Asio1&Asio2 with 64 channels, GSIF with 32channels and low latencies 3ms), 24bits/96khz, 16stereo/32mono Mixer with 4aux, effects, synth, routing, all in real times?

Have a look at them at least!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, that seems like way more performance than I need out of my PC. I don\'t really need to do any direct recording with it. I simply need to find something GS compatible that isn\'t crap.

Originally posted by killerbobjr:
    The Dio 2448 is not GSIF compatible -- in fact, it doesn\'t work at all with GS. If you get the Audiophile instead, you\'ll not only have S/PDIF i/o, but analog i/o and MIDI i/o as well. Latency is as low as 6ms (measured) with WDM drivers under Windows 98SE or Windows ME (Windows 2000 or XP adds about 5-10ms to the MIDI input from what I\'ve measured because of all the additional layers it goes through). The price of the Audiophile is around 50% more than the 2448 (which is discontinued).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks.
    I think I will just put Win98 on this system unless there is a compelling reason to use XP.
    How many midi ports do I need with GS160? I thought one would be enough but in reading, someone said they use four.
    Would there be timing concerns if I used my Midiman 4x4 (USB) on my PC instead of the onboard midi of the Audiophile?

I will take a look at the other cards you suggested too. Thanks.

Four MIDI In ports would allow you to use the four available ports in GS individually -- that\'s 64 channels of MIDI. I haven\'t done any latency tests on USB MIDI interfaces so I can\'t tell you if there\'s a performance hit with USB, but I haven\'t seen anyone complain about it here.

Go Back to forum