• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Topic: chasing KS in GPO

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    chasing KS in GPO

    I'm curious, is there a technical reason (ie: programming? functional? etc...) why for example in Finale KS data don't get properly chased when starting after, or further along in a score, from the KS command?

    is this a problem or issue with Finale? or a limitation of sorts of GPO?

    I can't say that it bothers me all that much, but I guess in a long score it can get annoying. this is more out of curiosity.

  2. #2

    Re: chasing KS in GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I'm curious, is there a technical reason (ie: programming? functional? etc...) why for example in Finale KS data don't get properly chased when starting after, or further along in a score, from the KS command?

    is this a problem or issue with Finale? or a limitation of sorts of GPO?

    I can't say that it bothers me all that much, but I guess in a long score it can get annoying. this is more out of curiosity.
    There is indeed a technical reason but it is neither the fault of Finale nor GPO. It is inherent in the nature of using note data to do the switching - a function that note data wasn't originally designed to have. Keyswitching is conceived as a performer convenience. Unused keys, outside of the range of the instrument, are appropriated to have an easy-to-reach switching function. All well and good so far. Consider what happens, though, when this data is incorporated into MIDI tracks/staves in a host program. The keyswitching still functions but the host software has no way of knowing that certain notes are not intended for triggering musical notes but, rather, for switching (articulations, for instance.) Most host programs can "look back" on controller data values and see what the most recent value was at the point the music was started. This is because controller data has an assigned function, separate from the actual musical notes. On the other hand, keyswitches "look" just like musical notes to the host program. Only the receiving virtual instrument recognizes the switching nature of the notes. Without information clarifying the additional switching function, the host program can't identify the specific state of the additional function at a given time in the music - insufficient information. It would take agreed-upon standards to adapt the dual function (which would conflict with the present MIDI standards) to overcome this limitation. I wouldn't hold my breath.

    Tom

  3. #3

    Re: chasing KS in GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The keyswitching still functions but the host software has no way of knowing that certain notes are not intended for triggering musical notes but, rather, for switching
    Finale's Human Playback feature is optimized for GPO. It should know what KeySwitch notes are supposed to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Without information clarifying the additional switching function
    Finale 2007 has this information.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Neither would I. We are talking about MakeMusic.

  4. #4

    Re: chasing KS in GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Finale's Human Playback feature is optimized for GPO. It should know what KeySwitch notes are supposed to do.
    So, Finale does "chase" previous keyswitch notes (or is supposed to, anyway)? That's news to me. Thanks for pointing that out. Perhaps qccowboy is experiencing a Finale issue here that should be pursued with Makemusic tech support.

    Tom

  5. #5

    Re: chasing KS in GPO

    well, I've grown used to Finale not always chasing the KS back (for some reason, it appears to do some, but not all).

    Robert P. has included KS information as data that HumanPlayback is supposed to include for performance in Finale. So technically, the "fault" would be Robert's and not MM's. Naked Finale playback with no HP gives no keyswitching at all in GPO (unless you actually include the MIDI notes for each KS in your score).

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •