• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking forward to mixing GPO and JABB--Tips?

Share/Bookmark

Smile Looking forward to mixing GPO and JABB--Tips?

Santa Claus has already been good to me--he got me in on the group buy for JABB .

I've been using GPO for a year and love working with it and the results I get.

My work often involves a combination of full orchestra augmented with lead bass, piano, drums, guitars, sax and the occassional synth sound and/or texture.

For those additions to the traditional orchestra, of course GPO covers my piano needs nicely with the Steinway. For the rest of the sounds, I mostly use my Korg X5dr hardware synth--an excellent old module.

But I've been wanting to use Garritan JABB for some time now instead of the Korg. Jazz drums will be perfect for my needs, and the JABB demos show me that the rest of my extra instruments will also be covered. To have my projects closer to 100% Garritan greatly appeals to me.

I've been scouring the Forums for tips on integrating the two programs, GPO and JABB, while I wait for the group buy shipment to go out. I've gotten a preview of possible issues I'll encounter, and know where to go for info when and if the need arises.

I haven't found a straight forward tute or thread about this specific situation though. Maybe some folks here can give me some ideas of what I should plan on doing when I go about setting everything up.

I don't like to use the Studio version of Kontact, but instead call up individual instances of Kontact in my Sonar Home Studio program, and load the instruments needed. I have a template with the full orchestra ready for me when I start a project.

Right now my understanding is that I could use the newer version of Studio which has a Kontact player which sounds from both libraries can load into, but I'd rather avoid that if possible. As indicated above, I always had problems when I tried to use the Studio--it seemed more cumbersome to me.

So am I correct that I'll be keeping the two libraries separate--calling up a GPO instance of Kontact, and then a JABB instance, when I need sounds from both in a project?

Any experiences people have had which could be helpful, I'd appreciate hearing about.

rbowser

Re: Looking forward to mixing GPO and JABB--Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Santa Claus has already been good to me--he got me in on the group buy for JABB .

I've been using GPO for a year and love working with it and the results I get.

My work often involves a combination of full orchestra augmented with lead bass, piano, drums, guitars, sax and the occassional synth sound and/or texture.

For those additions to the traditional orchestra, of course GPO covers my piano needs nicely with the Steinway. For the rest of the sounds, I mostly use my Korg X5dr hardware synth--an excellent old module.

But I've been wanting to use Garritan JABB for some time now instead of the Korg. Jazz drums will be perfect for my needs, and the JABB demos show me that the rest of my extra instruments will also be covered. To have my projects closer to 100% Garritan greatly appeals to me.

I've been scouring the Forums for tips on integrating the two programs, GPO and JABB, while I wait for the group buy shipment to go out. I've gotten a preview of possible issues I'll encounter, and know where to go for info when and if the need arises.

I haven't found a straight forward tute or thread about this specific situation though. Maybe some folks here can give me some ideas of what I should plan on doing when I go about setting everything up.

I don't like to use the Studio version of Kontact, but instead call up individual instances of Kontact in my Sonar Home Studio program, and load the instruments needed. I have a template with the full orchestra ready for me when I start a project.

Right now my understanding is that I could use the newer version of Studio which has a Kontact player which sounds from both libraries can load into, but I'd rather avoid that if possible. As indicated above, I always had problems when I tried to use the Studio--it seemed more cumbersome to me.

So am I correct that I'll be keeping the two libraries separate--calling up a GPO instance of Kontact, and then a JABB instance, when I need sounds from both in a project?

Any experiences people have had which could be helpful, I'd appreciate hearing about.

rbowser
    Gosh, I gotta say that there are really no problems in integrating the two. I do it in Finale 2006 and Overture without any issue of any kind.
    You are correct about the separate instances.
    I recently did a wind ensemble piece in Overture 4 using both GPO and JABB as well as Finale GPO. The only point of note was that the JABB saxes are played like jazz players play, and not in a wind ensemble style (d'oh!).
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I'm having a problem getting JABB to go, possibly a GPO + JABB problem.

I've been using GPO for some months now and having lots of fun. Today I took delivery of JABB, installed it on my computer, and I just can't get my sequencer to see it!

I am using DP5 (Digital Performer 5) on a Mac (OSX 10.4.8). The sequences I have created so far with GPO still work fine. If I open JABB as a stand-alone, it works OK (I can load instruments and play them from the Kontakt keyboard on the screen). But when I go back to DP and try to load JABB as a plug-in (using the menu Project->Add track -> Instrument track), GPO is there but JABB just ain't!

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Please disregard my previous cry for help.

The trouble was with something silly I had done with DP, and I found an answer on their forum. Nothing to do with JABB or GPO at all!

My apologies to anyone whose time I've wasted here.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Go Back to forum