• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Half year of trouble...

Share/Bookmark

Half year of trouble...

Ok, please reply this time. I still have problems. I have had problems about half year now. I\'m starting to get sick of this. I bought a new hard drive but it didn\'t help at all. No help from the \"official\" supports. Here is a link to my previous post: http://www.northernsounds.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000831

I did some testing. I had pre-recorded three tracks of audio and played them with Logic. Result, of course, was awful. Sound files are 24bit 44.1Khz. Then I recorded them using Logic\'s master track. While recording sound was clipping and distortered. Then odd thing happened. I closed Logic and played the new mix with winamp and NO CLIPPING! Sound was clear and there actually was only one small pop. How can this be?!? I have really big problems with playback and recording. What can be wrong?

Here is settings I used: I used only asio driver (audiophile\'s). No other audiodrivers selected. I checked 20/24bit recording, software monitoring, larger process buffer, larger disk buffer. If you want to know my specs, look at my previous post.

Re: Half year of trouble...

Ok, i\'ve checked the other post, and i say that your ASIO driver setting IS TOO LOW

Put a bigger buffer in your asio driver setting, something like 512 or 1024 samples.

Make sure you didn\'t select ANY other driver in logic. Go see in the hardware driver panel 1 & 2, and the ONLY selected driver should be asio.

If it doesn\'t work after this then write back here, i\'ll suggest some more things.

Thank you for your reply! Buffer in 528 and 800 very loud popping. 1056 and 1344 the same. Of course I\'ve tried all kinds of buffer settings, but there\'s always distortion with audiofiles in Logic. And I\'ve selected only asio driver. I forgot to tell that sometimes there is a message: \"asio driver overload.\" Or something like that. it comes when there is three audio tracks and few midi tracks and they had been looping few times.

Before someone sends any message I tell this once more:\"Audio files aren\'t clipping. They are played in low level. While recording these files, they didn\'t get hot.\" Problem is somewhere else.

Any other advice?

Asio overload is because of the audio card you\'re using then... Asio driver is done by manufacturer of the audio card, and maybe you have a driver problem then. Try with another audio card, or try this same audio card in another PC...

It is NOT logic fault, for sure, like i said before, you can record 30 tracks and more in logic, IF the driver perform well, and your machine is rock solid...

Just had an idea, what motherboard are you using? It is not told in your other post? What brand of proc? AMD or Intel?

And what kinda ram? SDRAM 100mhz? SDRAM 133mhz CAS222? CAS333 ? DDR?

Originally posted by marcuspocus:
    Just had an idea, what motherboard are you using? It is not told in your other post? What brand of proc? AMD or Intel?

And what kinda ram? SDRAM 100mhz? SDRAM 133mhz CAS222? CAS333 ? DDR?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I got 1000Mhz AMD Athlon
    Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-7ZX-1 (uses VIA kt133)
    Ram is SDRAM 133mhz

I got no idea what Cas is [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, here\'s the REAL solution :

THROW AWAY BY THE WINDOWS YOUR VT KT133 BOARD, this IS the trouble....

And CAS is the latency with which the mem is refresh, so if you don\'t know what it is, it mean also you didn\'t specificaly ask for it, so you have CAS333 mem...

NEVER use any VIA chipset board for any audio PC... They are the WORST you can buy...

Just search on google \'via chipset problem\' you\'ll find pletora of informations on how this via chipset is evil and bad, andeven worst than this....

Go with nForce chipset, latest revision... Asus A7N will do the job just fine...

Are U sure? This half year has been quite ironic. I bought a new sound card to get 24bit recordings. Then I switched sequenser. Then I realized that I can\'t record directly anymore so I bought amplifier. Then my old mic didn\'t work so I bought new one. After that I bought second hard drive and now new motherboard. Maybe I should have just stick with good old Sb Live Platinium. I NEVER had any performance problems with it.. ..thanks anyway. I\'m going to sleep this over (or how do you say that in english) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You are using a combination of the KT133 chipset (which uses the 686A southbridge chip) and a Soundblaster Live! soundcard. This combination has been notorious for causing corruption in hard drive data. The latest 4-in-1 VIA drivers are supposed to have solved this issue, but many people report that the kludges VIA added to their drivers (and believe me, it IS a kludge) to fix this problem didn\'t help.

Here\'s what I suggest -- Remove the SB Live! card from your pc, then go into your control panel and select No Sounds as your sound scheme. This way, the Audiophile won\'t be forced to switch sampling rates. Then go into the Audiophile control panel and select the Patchbay/Router tab. For HW out 1/2, select Monitor Mixer, then go to the Monitor Mixer tab and unmute Wave Out 1/2 and Wave Out S/PDIF. Now go in to GS and ONLY enable outputs 3,4 and make sure the sample rate is the same one you want to use in Logic (i.e. 44.1KHz, 48KHz, etc.). Then go into Logic and ONLY enable outputs 1/2.

After doing all of this, you should have a system where both GS and Logic behave nicely.

Originally posted by killerbobjr:
    Here\'s what I suggest -- Remove the SB Live! card from your pc, then go into your control panel and select No Sounds as your sound scheme. This way, the Audiophile won\'t be forced to switch sampling rates. Then go into the Audiophile control panel and select the Patchbay/Router tab. For HW out 1/2, select Monitor Mixer, then go to the Monitor Mixer tab and unmute Wave Out 1/2 and Wave Out S/PDIF. Now go in to GS and ONLY enable outputs 3,4 and make sure the sample rate is the same one you want to use in Logic (i.e. 44.1KHz, 48KHz, etc.). Then go into Logic and ONLY enable outputs 1/2.

After doing all of this, you should have a system where both GS and Logic behave nicely.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for giving me other options. Now I did what you said but now I didn\'t hear midi and audio was still clipping. I haven\'t plugged nothing in to spdif. I\'ve connected H/W 1/2 out to my amplifier but I don\'t have nothing for spdif. That\'s what outputs 3 and 4 are for, right? Where should I connect spdif? I got only one pair of ins for my amplifier.. ..altought I think that this doesn\'t solve the clipping problem. Audio was still horrible [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum