• Register
  • Help

Topic: Idea for better playability...

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Idea for better playability...

I've been playing with this library for a couple days. I've very impressed with the playability of it. Not too thrilled with the tremelo and trills playing methods, but meh. The primary modes are amazing, especially the solo modes.

That said, I find the thing that trips me up is that accidentally bumping a key can easily yield dead silence. It is not too bad playing at moderate speeds, but when I really get going it happens pretty easily. My thought is to borrow on ideas from monophonic synths (the trill mode does similar things, but doesn't have the character that I'm looking for.) More or less it is that when notes are still held, the last note played (before the one you just released) becomes active. This would make it easier to do grace notes as well. One step further, I think the portamento should be weighted by how short the note was. For example if it was very short you'd have almost no portamento, and if it was long you'd use the velocity from either the grace note or the note you're returning from. I suspect the former would work better. I think this would allow people to fast passages much more easily. Maybe this would be a seperate mode if it violated too much of the playing style you were going for.

Also a side note, using sustain to rebow does not work in the solo mode when you do a polyphonic chord. I.e. play 3 notes together, you get the chord, hold sustain and play them again and you get only one of the notes. I would really like to see this fixed if possible.

-Eric

Re: Idea for better playability...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric von Bayer
    I find the thing that trips me up is that accidentally bumping a key can easily yield dead silence. It is not too bad playing at moderate speeds, but when I really get going it happens pretty easily. -Eric
    I agree with Eric's assessment. The unintended silence happens a lot to me too, and I'd very much appreciate some ergonomic improvement in that area.

/Joey

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire31
    I agree with Eric's assessment. The unintended silence happens a lot to me too..
    This has happened to me a few times too. I've a feeling that if monosynth-style legato were used (like in the G# keyswitch), it would conflict with the way portamento is handled... at the moment, when playing legato, the velocity of the second note controls the speed of portamento, so what should happen to portamento when that second note is released, if we wish to hear once again the first note that is still being held? I suppose it would be workable if the last-used portamento speed were used to glide back to the original note?
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    so what should happen to portamento when that second note is released, if we wish to hear once again the first note that is still being held? I suppose it would be workable if the last-used portamento speed were used to glide back to the original note?
    My assertion is that the more likely approach is to use a range of near 0 through the last played portamento speed. And that the length of the played note would determine which end of the range you used. For instance:

D = duration
    L = last portamento time
    P = portamento time

D > 800ms, P = L
    D < 100ms, P = 2ms

otherwise P = ( (D - 100ms) / 700ms ) * L + 2ms

It might also be good to prevent P from going over say 1/2 * D. Granted it'd have to be played around with to find out what felt natural, but I really hope Gary will think about doing this. I think it'd make it even more wonderful than it already is.

Go Back to forum