• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Half-Pedaling Capability?

Share/Bookmark

Piano Half-Pedaling Capability?

This has been discussed in other posts but with no authoritative and clear response, so I'll break it down into three questions:

1) Does the the Script by Kornel (P.S. Thankyou Mezo!) have a means of duplicating half pedaling or partial pedaling of sustain pedal

2) If yes, how?

3) If no, is there a way, Kontakt Script or otherwise (Pianoteq, though, however bright it's future, is not an option for this thread, please and thankyou--just sample libraries, not modelers for these particualr questions)

Additionally, is there any script available that will created a soft pedal action that does more than just lower volume (on a real piano, one string sounds different than three, even apart from the difference in volume.

Thanks.

Re: Piano Half-Pedaling Capability?

1. Kornel's script can emulate half pedaling, at least for Black Grand & TBO/7CG - I have not seen the other versions, but expect them to have the same features.

2. There is a menu button called HPFrom, that sets the lowest CC#64 (sustain) value, which accounts for half pedaling. Next to that there is a menu button called HPRange, that sets the Half pedal range. The highest CC#64 value, which accounts for half pedaling is equal to HPFrom + HPRange.

According to the info on Kornel's site, the script seems to emulate soft pedal by only lowering the velocity. In addition to this you could add a CC#67 (soft pedal) modulated EQ.

3. Other way : There is a very good script in the last K2.1 library update (thank's to Xavier). Just load the AF piano "full conv" version, and save the script named "Full PRM + 1/2ped". You can use that one for any piano you have. The effect is continuous (Kornel HP is discrete : no pedal / half pedal / full pedal). Note release envelope is also better managed.
    You can edit the script, it is not password protected.
    Note : You can still use kornel script along with this one (release mode disabled, or better, in a separate harmonic instrument)

4. Soft pedal : The only alternative I know is separate soft pedal samples (Ivory).

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    3. Other way : There is a very good script in the last K2.1 library update (thank's to Xavier). Just load the AF piano "full conv" version, and save the script named "Full PRM + 1/2ped". You can use that one for any piano you have. The effect is continuous (Kornel HP is discrete : no pedal / half pedal / full pedal). Note release envelope is also better managed.
    You can edit the script, it is not password protected.
    Note : You can still use kornel script along with this one (release mode disabled, or better, in a separate harmonic instrument)

4. Soft pedal : The only alternative I know is separate soft pedal samples (Ivory).
    Much thanks to both replies. Finally an answer to the problem. I've never saved or edited a script before, but if there's a way to do it, I'm sure I can figure it out. I just hated the idea of trying without knowing ahead if it was possible. Thanks!

Go Back to forum