• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: gpo string quartet

gpo string quartet

I was trying to use some harmonic and melodic development devices that were talked about in school a few years ago. I wrote this short piece as an experiment. It starts with violin and cello and is later joined by another violin and viola. All of the instruments are GPO. Please give a listen and tell me what you think.

Re: gpo string quartet

That is excellent! Thank you for sharing your work with us. A string quartet is not the easiest thing to write. I know, because I have written very few of them.

Welcome to the forum. Are you a composition student?

Larry G. Alexander

Thanks Larry. I used to be a compostion student but as life goes I wasn't able to complete my music degree.

Salisbury, UK

Applause. An engaging piece. And the best sound I have heard from these solo strings to date.

I have to agree with the above that you have done an excellent job of offering a great "string quartet" sound with the GPO instruments that you have chosen for the task (what are they?).

The composition is well constructed and the mix is clear and convincing.

You should, above everything else, try to continue your personal research and growth in the composition field so that when you have a chance, you can jump back into academia and finish your composition degree.

I thank you for this musical offering, Jay.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Ah, thank you so much, Jay. This is such a nice piece, put together so impeccably with GPO. Good for you, and good for all of us here to be able to hear your work.

amazing. simply stunning. thanks for sharing.
    if you have a minute, please stop by my music site

jack, rbowser, dermod, number6, thanks for your positive feedback. I appreciate it. It is really hard to judge your own work, and input from other listeners is priceless. Jack, I used 2 violins, a viola and a cello from GPO for the quartet. I would like to continue my music education, but I just can't fit it in with working for a living. Number6, I visited your site and did some listening. What an interesting sound. It seems like it might be your own style.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very nice writing on this string quartet. Good composition and form and used of the libraries. It sounds a little dry to me. Are you using any ambience? I like the feeling of fullness that it adds.

Jay -

Very nice writing. The string quartet sounded great even through these cheap speakers at work.

I hope you continue to write more. It saddened me to read that you didn't finish you music degree. We all have priorities to set and decisions to make. I hope, if you're interested, that you someday continue with your studies just so that you can further refine that compositional talent that you possess (sp?).

Thank you for sharing!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast