• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB/GPO/Strad Cues from "Lounge Act"

JABB/GPO/Strad Cues from "Lounge Act"

Hi all. I'm a regular forum reader/listener, but rare poster. This is my first time posting some of my music, since now I have a website host to facilitate their online storage.

I was contracted last summer to score my first feature-length film, a comedy entitled Lounge Act, written and directed by J'Mel R. Davidson. Since the movie had no budget to speak of, I wasn't able to hire any real musicians, beyond what I could play myself (i.e., guitar). So I finally broke down, got a loan, got a great audio workstation PC, GPO, JABB, and Strad, and the results below are my first attempts at using serious samples to create finished products.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions. The movie went to print several months ago, so of course it's too late to change anything. But I could always use advice for future projects!

Lounge Act is a comedy about two twentysomethings tried to find love (or at least lust) and happiness and budding careers as lounge singers. The director called for a mostly jazz-tinged score. Here are a few of the cues:

Sea Donkeys: the intro sequence, when the two heroes are introducing themselves to the camera. This was done entirely with JABB, with the exception of live shaker and guiro, and the marimba and xylophone from GPO.

The Great Apricot Waltz: we tried to get the rights to Vince Guaraldi's The Great Pumpkin Waltz for a climactic romantic scene, but couldn't afford the fees. So I wrote this Guaraldi-esque tune. The brush drums and bass are JABB, but the piano is from the Kontakt 2 collection.

Ringo's Theme: theme music for the -crazed hipster Ringo. The director wanted something Joabim-esque. All JABB.

Museum Quartet: as I said, the film had a tiny budget, so even background music at malls, lobbies, etc. I had to write. This was the background music during a long, talky scene shot at the Birmingham Museum of Art. I conceived it as a Haydn-esque sonata-form string quartet. The two violins are Strads with different EQ curves and convolution, and the viola and cello are solos from GPO.

Opening the Comic Shop: music for a montage sequence of one of the heroes opening up the comic shop where he works. Live voices (auto-tuned to an inch of their lives), live shaker and guiro, the rest is JABB.

The Boardroom: one of the heroes is confronting a club owner about a possible gig. The director wanted an overinflated sense of impending doom. It's comedy! The piano is my Yamaha S90, and the other sounds you hear are David Mayson (Pingu)'s bowed music stand.

Thanks in advance for listening!

Re: JABB/GPO/Strad Cues from "Lounge Act"

hi Inkfingers, nice job! Every piece sets the proper mood and the harmonies are challenging... I have listened with great pleasure to your Museum Quartet, maybe my favourite. Thanks for posting

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Hi Inkfingers,

Really nice stuff here. Lot's of variety between all of the pieces, each with its own story to tell. Great used of the sound libraries.

Wow, quite an introduction of your music, Marc:
    six out of six, every one of 'em a keeper. Great
    job on these, diverse writing and all of it first chair;
    and the production is excellent, every piece.

With Roberto, the quartet is perhaps one of the best
    I've heard here in quite some time... a piece I listened
    to with care, and with much appreciation; handsome
    work, Marc.

My best,

Thank you so kindly, everyone, for the warm words and feedback. I'll keep posting as I have new material. There's more stuff at my website, including some of my concert music. A lot of the stuff on the site was done pre-sample libraries, so the sounds to my ears are mediocre in comparison (they mostly came from my S90 synth). But you can hear the music anyway!

Enjoyed all of the cues, but the Quartet is probably my favorite too. A really great job with all the libraries and the mix is very clear and live-sounding.

BRAVO, Marc

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum