• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Overture 3.5

Share/Bookmark

Overture 3.5

Before my new laptop came, I figured out how to notate using Overture 3.5 and how to set up the midi instruments on my old slow computer. Now I have my laptop, I have loaded GPO and would like to play my Overture files using GPO. In the help manual, I found a GPO command but I can't find it in Overture. If I could find this command, maybe I could set up the instrument sounds I would like to use?

Re: Overture 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by docdestructo62
    Before my new laptop came, I figured out how to notate using Overture 3.5 and how to set up the midi instruments on my old slow computer. Now I have my laptop, I have loaded GPO and would like to play my Overture files using GPO. In the help manual, I found a GPO command but I can't find it in Overture. If I could find this command, maybe I could set up the instrument sounds I would like to use?
    Doc,

Startup "GPO Studio" (NOT the GPO standalone) and load some instruments in the slots. Then crank up Overture, setup a score, and then open the "Tracks Window". You should be able to do a "pull-down" in the "Device" column to select your GPO Studio player. The "Channel" column corresponds to the "slot" in GPO Studio, so do a pull-down there to select the instrument you want for that track. Don't bother with the "Patch" name, just select the appropriate channel in the "Chn" column.

There are some Overture/GPO tutorials here=>
    http://www.lostandlonging.com/Overtu...0Tutorial2.htm

I don't think the "basic" tutorial is on that page yet, but some of the others have screenshots of what I just described...all courtesy of a certain Mr. J. Burrell, I believe.

have fun,
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I loaded up the instruments, then opened my score in overture. I assigned the instruments and the channels and then hit play. No sound. I turned up the mod wheel on each instrument. Still no sound. What next?

I loaded up the instruments, then opened my score in overture. I assigned the instruments and the channels and then hit play. No sound. I turned up the mod wheel on each instrument. Still no sound. What next?
    Hmmmm...what are we missing here?

1) You DO see "GPO Player 1" in the Tracks window in Overture, right?

2) When you use your mouse to press a key on the Kontakt player do you hear the instrument (i.e just playing the instrument directly without going thru Overture)?

jim

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    Hmmmm...what are we missing here?

1) You DO see "GPO Player 1" in the Tracks window in Overture, right?

2) When you use your mouse to press a key on the Kontakt player do you hear the instrument (i.e just playing the instrument directly without going thru Overture)?

jim
    Yes and yes.

Yes and yes.
    Doc,
    I'm at a loss as to what is wrong...but don't let that discourage you, because I'm pretty new to this myself. I'm probably missing something very obvious...

ANYBODY ELSE HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT THIS?

J.B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You awake yet, man?????????

;-)

I am an Overture 4 user, but did use Ove. 3 with GPO Studio for a time. Let's see...

You can hear sound when you press a key on the Kontakt player. That means your soundcard is working properly with Kontakt. In GPO studio check to make sure that you are using an ASIO driver with your soundcard. I guess a good way to make sure that is is not a routing problem is to download this test (either one):

Open the GPO studio file first, then open Overture, and press play. If you can hear noise, then you probably missed something in setting up GPO Studio and Overture 3.5 to work together. If you can't hear any noise it could mean your soundcard isn't configured properly, or that Overture isn't set to playback GPO sounds.

Although I never had this problem, set up a new score in Overture with a staff of any instrument you want, and route it to a GPO studio slot. Enter a few notes. Then place a dynamic marking attached to the first note. Double click it, and change the default playback MIDI control to 'modulation' and see if that helps.

Also, check Overture's playback preferences (can't remember where it is in 3.5) to make sure that General MIDI is not over-riding anything.

Hope this helps,

-Brian

O.K. I got home and away from students knocking on my office door (I tried not to cry when they came for their lessons). I'm not obsessed, really. With a cup of herbal tea to fortify me, I sat down and figured out that the piano sound was working because the load sound set command under GPO (it magically appeared when I loaded kontakt) had only a piano. The score has a piano, harp, and French horn. After I loaded a sound set that had full orchestra with harp with the load sound set command under GPO (in overture) I got a harp sound. I've been fooling around with the tracks window and have found all the instruments i need if i use a midi grand piano and gpo harp and horn. Only the harp sound comes out. There are 8 players in GPO but each voice has 4 slots. Why do I have to load a full sound set? Why can't I just load each instrument? What do I do with each of the four slots under each player? Do I just worry about the first slot of each? My score has 4 tracks: Piano, 2 harps (I think) and a horn. I can't be sure which player lines up with which track. Using kontakt, which instrument should I load in which of the 8 players? If there are 4 slots in each in overture, why can I only load 1 instrument per player? Do I even need to use kontakt? After I load the sound sets from overture, what difference does it make? I am failing to see the connection between what I do in kontakt and what it means in overture. I'll stop now. Doc

The problem is a Creative Soundcard driver. You need to change the sample rate in GPO Studio's audio setup from 44.1 to 48.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    The problem is a Creative Soundcard driver. You need to change the sample rate in GPO Studio's audio setup from 44.1 to 48.
    I'm not quite sure how to do that. The harp sounds are nice, though. Also, I noticed that all the channels are set to channel 1. When I change any of the tracks to different channels, they stop making sound. Why is channel 1 a harp when I have a piano loaded into player 1 in kontakt? I have harps loaded in players 2 and 3 in kontakt, and a solo horn in the 4th player. Why is only channel 1 connected to sound? Why is it a harp? What does this have to do with the sample rate?

Go Back to forum