• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Legal To Sell A Piano Library?

Share/Bookmark

Legal To Sell A Piano Library?

Probably not right?

Re: Legal To Sell A Piano Library?

well no, but technically its not legal to put mp3's on ur ipod from a cd that you own.

Alex: Huh? Why it isn't? (the CD case I mean). (I live in London), but I hear that in the States they have really f***cked up! I mean the RIAA and the mess with DRM is a difficult one indeed. I do know that in the rest of the world Sony and a game of theirs, had A LOT of games returned because of the DRM.

Huge difference between the two, that's what I'm saying mainly.

Because with the piano library you get a license (football, check the license, if it says that it's not transferable then it is illegal), however there are companies that get a small fee and you can transfer the license, while deleting your own instalation (like NI for example)...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Because with the piano library you get a license (football, check the license, if it says that it's not transferable then it is illegal), however there are companies that get a small fee and you can transfer the license, while deleting your own instalation (like NI for example)...
    I just read it again and I am no lawyer but it appears they don't allow resale.

I am not 100% sure though cause it's in legal jargon.

I have bought many libraries over the years that have been like throwing money out the window. Some (like this one) were installed, tried once or twice and then get put away forever (or in many cases thrown away).

Sometimes you take a chance on these things and it doesn't work out.

Shame this stuff can't be resold (protects the developers I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by football
    Probably not right?
    You can't sell something you don't own - and you don't own the sample library - just a licence to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Alex: Huh? Why it isn't? (the CD case I mean). (I live in London)
    It seems like it's illegal in the UK, although a change is planned. Please see this article.

Wondering are ALL libraries like this?

Cause I understand perfectly well why you "license" the samples and not "buy" them, but I can't understand why you can delete your own instalation and resell the samples. That's the part that's still missing from me. while you can do it with other things.

It seems like another idea to get mroe money from decent and honest people, while "fighting piracy"... :P

and to stay in topic: football: in this case it is illegal, end of story... :-/ No way around it... If you really don't want it you can always donate it to a friend, and whenever he uses it he will say that you made the production, which is again...illegal. No wait! something else. You can just forget about the smaple library and delete it to save space... Probably the only thing you can do, if you don't like the library!

Alex: Hope it will change. I do think that the UK is more open minded thatn the USA... Let's see... In the end if you think about it, it is kinda illegal to be listening to music and your wife listening along , is it not? She didn't pay the royalties you did. ! (half joking here of course)

I guess the first question that nobody seems to be getting around to asking is "what library"?

I would say that if you have a library that requires registration and is locked to the computer you can unregister and sell/transfer the license. If the piano is "open", i.e., just the sounds and not encapsulated in a player that requires registration, then you can't sell it.

Ernie

Our piano libraries has transferable licenses. You can sell the license if you like without any fees or anything else.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    I guess the first question that nobody seems to be getting around to asking is "what library"?

I would say that if you have a library that requires registration and is locked to the computer you can unregister and sell/transfer the license. If the piano is "open", i.e., just the sounds and not encapsulated in a player that requires registration, then you can't sell it.

Ernie
    It is Synthogy's "Italian Grand" expansion pack. I am sure some people are going to love it's flavor but unfortunately I don't. I'll explain possibly why.

I grew up with a real Yamaha Grand so I definitely have a bias towards Yamaha. I enjoy Synthogy's Ivory Yamaha and pretty much never use their Stein or Bos that come with it.

My hope was that somehow the Italian Grand would be a step up from Ivory's Yamaha that I always use. Shot in the dark on my part but based on my love for their Ivory Yamaha I thought a shot worth taking.

It very well might be a step up for a lot of people but for me I found myself back using Ivory's Yamaha and all was good in the world again.

In fact, I still find myslef very impressed with their Yamaha.

Anyway, with regards to software in general it is a funny animal. If I buy a mic pre that I get tired of I can simply sell it. I wish this were the same way but it seems things are the way they are because of piracy.

Of course I would be happy to delete this library from my hard drive (if that did in fact make it legal) in order to sell it cause I am quite sure I will not use it again.

And to repeat, I think some people will probably love this piano and it does seem very well recorded.

Go Back to forum