• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano SOnata in g minor - revision of 3rd movement

Share/Bookmark

Piano SOnata in g minor - revision of 3rd movement

I’ve been working on the third movement the last few days and made some changes. Hopefully you all like it better.

The themes of the scherzo and trio all come, almost note for note, from the first movement, particularly from the introduction.

Here is the sonata up to this point:

1st mvmnt: Adagio – allegro con brio
    2nd mvmnt: Adagio
    3rd mvmnt: Scherzo & Trio - allegro

Let me know what you think.

(I posted a slower version of the adagio 12/24 4:30 PM EST)
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 12-24-2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Posted new version
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Piano SOnata in g minor - revision of 3rd movement

Well Trent, apparently you and the piano were meant for each other. I only really had time right now to listen to the first movement, but after listening to it i had to click on the 2nd, and well how could I resist, I'm now listening to the 3rd which is awesome like the first two, and very glad i stayed for all three. Excellent, excellent!!!

I'm downloading these, thanks!
    David

Re: Piano SOnata in g minor - revision of 3rd movement

Oh, darn, now I think I'm suffering version-confusion... lol;
    I think I saw the earlier version before I saw the later
    version and commented earlier when I should have commented
    later. Or I should have commented earlier on the later version
    and not commented later on the earlier version as I did earlier.

In any event, I like the flow in this one much more, Trent;
    which is what I commented on later than I should have on
    the earlier version, which I should have seen later than I
    did, instead of earlier.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Well Trent, apparently you and the piano were meant for each other. I only really had time right now to listen to the first movement, but after listening to it i had to click on the 2nd, and well how could I resist, I'm now listening to the 3rd which is awesome like the first two, and very glad i stayed for all three. Excellent, excellent!!!

I'm downloading these, thanks!
    David
    Hi David.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I'm not sure if I'm made for the piano, at least not the playing side - there is no way I could play this!

Lately I've been writing mostly piano works because it lets me concentrate on the music and not the orchestration. I think of myself as a student of music and each piece is an assignment to work on some specific problem. Of course, when I’m writing I think of music and not problem solving!

Thanks again for taking the time (I realize most people don’t want to spend 15 minutes on something like this) to listen and comment.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Oh, darn, now I think I'm suffering version-confusion... lol;
    I think I saw the earlier version before I saw the later
    version and commented earlier when I should have commented
    later. Or I should have commented earlier on the later version
    and not commented later on the earlier version as I did earlier.

In any event, I like the flow in this one much more, Trent;
    which is what I commented on later than I should have on
    the earlier version, which I should have seen later than I
    did, instead of earlier.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Let’s see, you commented earlier on an earlier version so the comments were too late because the later version was seen too late? Now you have me confused….

I went back and read your comments on the earlier post. The two threads point to the same file, so, depending on when you listened, you may have heard the same version twice. (I kept posting revisions but decided to start a new thread thinking nobody would dig back over a week to listen.) So I will take your original comments to heart and have another listen. There are a few places I may still change a bit, particularly in the counterpoint section of the trio (pseudo-fugato?). I’m not sure if that is the section you were thinking of, but that is the part that still seems a little rough to me.

I’m coming up with some ideas for the finale and hope to have a rough draft by the end of the year. I’ll most likely do a theme and variation since I’ve already hit “sonata form”, rondo (second movement is ABABA) and minuet (scherzo-trio is aababa-ccdc-aba, almost minute form) in this sonata. This sia learning piece so I want to cover all bases.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment on this. Twice.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    - ....The two threads point to the same file, so, depending on when you listened, you may have heard the same version twice. ... I’m not sure if that is the section you were thinking of.....
    David,

I went back and listened and I think you did originally listen to an older version. The original version I posted had slight pauses between the 2 measure "sub"-phrases of the trio (the "c" theme). I later filled them in to make it more continuous. I left a few gaps in there, which I may fill in (I think I originally meant to, but decided to keep them for contrast).

My thought is either you did listen to an old version or, on first listen, you didn't care for the little pauses that I left.

Thanks for your comments on both threads.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,
    This is a wonderful achievement. I enjoyed every note. The first movement is, as I commented before, Beethovenish. That's a good thing, lol. Lots of energy there. The Adagio is beautiful and well developed though I found it bit rushed. The scherzo shows a lot of inventiveness. The harmonies and modulations were exciting. Waiting for the finale.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Trent,
    This is a wonderful achievement. I enjoyed every note. The first movement is, as I commented before, Beethovenish. That's a good thing, lol. Lots of energy there. The Adagio is beautiful and well developed though I found it bit rushed. The scherzo shows a lot of inventiveness. The harmonies and modulations were exciting. Waiting for the finale.
    Bill
    Hi Bill.

Thanks for your remarks.

As I said in the thread about the first movement, it was strongly influenced by LvB, whose music I am currently studying. For the next two movements I decided to write what I felt and not worry if LvB would never do anything like it.

I slowed the Adagio down a little (2 bpm) from the first time I posted it. I'll listen to it a couple of beats per minute slower yet and see how it goes. I think the little intro is way too fast so I may slow that down even more. Maybe I'll have the tempo change subtlety throughout so the "tick-tock" of the B section stays close to 60 bpm (currently 58). (I posted a new version - intro at 53 bpm, the rest at 56)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum