• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midwest Band Clinic Report (and pictures)

Orcas Island

Midwest Band Clinic Report (and pictures)

I just returned this morning from the Midwest Band Clinic.

I was quite a show and very well attended (even though it's a few days before Christmas). The show is geared towards those involved with band and orchestrators attended - mainly band and orchestra directors, players, band associations, publishers and educators. I rarely saw such an enthusiastic group dedicated to music. There were concerts, labs, workshops and events that were going on.

We had a spot at the McCormicks booth. Snorlax helped out and knew many people there (he is a one man band celebrity). He would point out people and say in excitement "there's so and so, he is one of the best players of..." I had the opportunity to hear Snorlax play the Euphonium as we perused the brass booths on the lower level. No sweeter sound under heaven....

Snorlax trying our different Euphonii - Last picture is Marty Erikson, one of the best tuba players (and formerly the principal/solo tubist with the United States Navy Band)

There were many booths spread out in five different exhibit halls. Many instrument makers exhibited and many colleges and universities represented. We were in the Continental Ballroom where the music tech companies were. Finale, Notion, Sibelius, Yamaha, Pyeware, Roland, Mibac, Music Pad Pro, and others were among the exhibits.

Brass, Saxes, Bassoons (for Brian2112), Strings, Clarinets and al manner of band and orcheestra instruments.

Dennis Stanfill with Yamaha, Jim & Pye (from Pyeware).

We gave demonstrations of our various libraries. The most interest was with the upcoming marching band library (being a band conference) and there was also considerable interest in the Jazz/Big Band and Strad. It seems that the marching band library is hitting another sweet spot that has been neglected among sample libraries.

We met with Key Poulan, one of the leading band directors and arrangers in the country. Key has consulted on the Concert and Marching Band library and has been an enormous help.

I was surprised how many people in the band community visit this forum. Daargason, Vince Gassi (one of our competition winners), brsmith, Jeff Turner, Gary Atkins and other forum members were there.

Vince Gassi, Gary Atkins (from Sibelius), Jeff Turner

BR Smith, one of our forum members and music publisher, was exhibiting. He was showing works by our forum members, namely Joe Cavanaugh, Donald Sorah, John Palmer and others. It was good to see our forum member's music prominently displayed at the show. Kudos to BR Smith for showcasing our forum members.

John Palmer's "Lakeside Fanfare",
    Joe Cavanaugh's "North", "Sulis" and "Sonata"
    Donald Sorah's "Dance Scenes" and "Berceuse"
    Paul Read's "Fanfare and Processional"
    And many of BR Smith's works
    (who is the distinguished gentleman on the right)

And speaking of showcasing the forum members, I walked past the Music Pad Pro booth and I heard something very familiar. It was our Community Christmas CD playing. As I approached I saw the cover of the Christmas CD prominently displayed on their Tablet PC and playing the Community Christmas CD for all to hear. What a thrill that was. And many Christmas CDs were given out during the show. This music is going to bring lots of holiday cheer this season.

Dr. David Peters showing and playing the Community Christmas CD
    on the Music Pad Pro tablet

I had several successful business meetings and made arrangements that will help shape the years ahead. Some good things are coming.

Jim and I had a terrific dinner with Tom Johnson, Tom Carruth and Roger Williams from Finale. We ate at the Italian Village and the food and company was excellent. Tom has been around the notation business for over twenty years and we learned a great deal about the history and evolution of the notation industry.

Dinner with Finale guys and Tom Johnson (bottom pix)

In conversations with band enthusiasts and the folks at Finale, it seems that the upcoming library is just as oriented toward concert band as it is marching band. At the suggestion of many we will be renaming the library as the "Garritan Concert and Marching Band". I hope you all concur with that decision.

That night Daargason performed with the Dallas Wind Symphony at a midnight madness concert. I wish I could have attended but after a full day but crashed. I heard the Dallas Wind symphony in concert at TMEA and it was phenomenal and the concert must have been a great success.

I met with a number of college administrators and professors about adding Concert and Marching Band to their curriculum. We also set up a tentative college tour for the coming year.

Friday afternoon I gave a talk about sampling. The overhead projector didn't work with my setup so the talk was improvised but I think I managed not to babble too much. I was surprised that everyone there used notation programs and were fairly sophisticated with music technology and sampling.

After the talk I met with Prof. Andy Hill, Director of the graduate Film scoring program at Columbia College

Although it was raining, the weather was balmy for "Chicago - Mid to upper 40s which is tropical for this time of year. Coming from the weird weather north of Seattle, this was a welcome releif.

2007 is looking like it will be another banner year. Lots of major currents - Mac-Intel is established and Windows Vista is coming on the scene. New technologies are coming and it will be an exciting and interesting year.

Wishing you all very Happy Holidays!

Gary Garritan

Re: Midwest Band Clinic Report (and pictures)

I also had a great time at Midwest.

I really appreciated everyone's friendliness and openness to me, especially since I am an unknown quantity to them all.

I guess they figured "If he's here with Garritan he must be OK"

I was really impressed with the guys from Finale/SmartMusic!! MakeMusic is lucky to have a team that is so devoted to the products, so talented and so friendly.

Thanks also to McCormick's, who got me a badge and let me crash their party.

It was also a treat to meet forum people like Vince, Jeff, and Dargason.

ONE IMPORTANT CORRECTION: That photo, allegedly of me and Pye from Pyware, is IN REALITY a before/after shot of yours truly, Snorlax, after a trip to the gym late Tuesday night.

Yes, I met a lot of old friends from the "low brass player and band clubs," but here's what Gary DIDN'T hear:

"Hey, Jim...remember that dinner I paid for in Cleveland in 1986?"...Jim, great to see you...remember all the beer I bought at the brass convention in DC?".....WILLIAMS!! You're the (*&^^%$^%*^(( who hit on my daughter after you soloed with my band....etc...

While I have always liked and respected Garritan and the people from Finale, I left with a renewed and heightened respect after seeing them "in action."
    They are all devoted to their customers and are constantly looking for ways to help them create music.

Can't wait until next year!!

Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

NW Illinois

It was a real treat to finally meet you and Snorlax. I glad you enjoyed your stay in Chicago. I think it makes a lot of sense to rename the library for both concert and marching bands. There's a whole new audience waiting for this library.

What a thrill to see pictures and hear of all the things on the horizon for 2007.

Thank you Gary for this topic.

Great to see Jim playing!

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    What a thrill to see pictures and hear of all the things on the horizon for 2007.

Thank you Gary for this topic.

Great to see Jim playing!

Yes, Dan...

Better to SEE me playing than to HEAR me playing!

Merry Christmas!!!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thanks for the report and pics, Gary. Sounded like a great group having a great time.........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Dallas, TX

Smile Re: Midwest Band Clinic Report (and pictures)

Great report and pics. Glad you guys had such a good time and the weather was pretty good, in Chicago it could have been different, like Jack Frost nipping your nose off. Euphonium! Jim, seeing you play is great, but chances are hearing you play is exactly like Gary described.

Merry Christmas

Thanks for posting my mug shot above.

It was a pleasure to meet you at Midwest Clinic. Thanks for your tips and help with GPO.

I hope that every member of the GPO community gets an oportunity to meet you sometime in the future.

Merry Christmas and a joyful New Year to all.

Go Back to forum