• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Christmas Album in the New York Times

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Christmas Album in the New York Times

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/...ristmas-album/

Pogue's Posts is the blog of David Pogue, lead technology writer for the New York Times.

December 24, 2006, 3:37 pm A Community Christmas Album

For the third year in a row, a gorgeously orchestrated CD of Christmas music is available online, for your present-opening pleasure.
    It’s technically a promotional stunt meant to draw attention to Garritan, a company that sells samples (high-quality instrument sounds for professional music synthesizers).

But what I love about this annual effort is that Garritan’s customers, who are obviously incredibly gifted arrangers, contribute MP3’s of their orchestrations, all in the spirit of spreading their musical talent. The result is a full-blown playlist of some of the most lush, transporting arrangements you’ll never hear on the radio; this year’s is especially good. Play, download, burn to a CD, and enjoy–for free.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: Garritan Christmas Album in the New York Times

I subscribe to David Pogue's podcasts of his column in the New York Times. They are informative, light hearted and usually quite accurate. Being a Mac guy, it cheers me to find him not an Apple basher. Not only that, he obviously has an observant ear. Way to listen David. Wheat, it's nice that you responded to his words. Thanks. It is so true everyone did a wonderful job on this CD. It was played much around our house this past week.

Karl

Yeah!

These Christmas CD's get better and better... and this
    year's was really impressive.

Had it looping all day Christmas while the family was
    around; wound up burning two copies for the relatives... lol.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Copyright? What's that?

THis is the same David Pogue who wrote the original manual for Finale!
    His work lives on any time we open the PDF!!
    Yes, quite insightful...
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Yes, David Pogue consulted on the first version of Finale.

He was a Broadway orchestra pit conductor and arranger at the time.

Now he's the Martha Stewart of gadgets. (Actually he used to work for Martha Stewart, as well).
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Digital Signposts has also picked up the New York Times mention:

http://theok.typepad.com/digital_signposts/

Thanks to David Pogue for drawing attention to this one. The Garritan Music Library has made some excellent Christmas Music available for download. The spirit of this offer is summed up in a comment on David's post, by Wheat Williams; who was responsible for some of the marketing and sleeve notes:
    "On behalf of the 18 composers on this year’s album, from across the United States, Iceland, England, Italy and Slovenia, I’d like to say thanks for giving us a mention. We want everybody to enjoy our free music, and to invite others to use their computers to make music of their own and share it with us."
    Although the great day has passed and gone for another year, this really is too good an asset to pass over, (it is also timely to note that Auld Lang Syne can be found amongst the MP3s). Many thanks and best wishes for a Happy New Year to Garritan and their music community, and hopefully, everyone's a winner. Garritan receives, well deserved, good publicity and we gain from the generosity of their community.
    Please feel free to leave a comment at Digital Signposts and also at the David Pogue of the New York Times blog - http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/...ristmas-album/

Happy New Year!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum