Topic: Performance Trouble

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Performance Trouble

My system has the following specs

AMD 64 3 ghz
    2.5 GB ram
    Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi
    Windows XP Pro Service Pack II

I am trying to play one of my orchestral compositions through GPO. Heres the problem, in some of the parts where the entire orchestra is playing (these are very complex parts), my computer will studder and for whatever reason, durring playback, the tempo fluxuates unpredictably and uncontrolably. Basicly my system behaves as if it lacks the resources necessary to run GPO. Now, based on the above listed system specs, I highly doubt thats the case. However no matter how I configure GPO, My Creative Labs Drivers, or Cakewalk Sonar, I can't get it to play back properly. Bare in mind, in sparser sections of the piece of music it plays fine. Its just when all the voices are playing. Could you please help me with this.

Re: Performance Trouble

Hi
    I think that your specs are probably fine (they're similar to mine). I suggest rendering each track to audio separately. That's what I have to do and it works out ok. Takes a little extra time if I want to change or fix something after I render tracks.
    The other thing is that you could have a problem with your latency/buffers setting.
    Hopefully, you'll be able to find a fix soon. You're in the right place, that's for sure.
    Good luck,
    Steph

edit - I re-read and these spikes...they're your CPU usage right? I have this same problem, (red lights saying "WARNING!!" "WARNING!!" ) and the only way that I've found around it is what I've mentioned above. Maybe, I can learn something too if someone else has a solution...I can only load 3 or 4 instruments into a single player before my computer goes nuts and does the same thing.

The problem is, I really don't have the time or the disk space to sample each track individually. What I don't understand is why my computer can't keep up with it even though it not only meets but thoroughly surpasses the minimal system requirements listed on the box. Heck, I even tried killing all other unnecessary processes. I tried giving gpo and cakewalk real time priority. I tried giving them high priority. I tried running it in asio mode, (which made things worse). And either way, even when I am down to one track, I still get the tempo fluxuations.

Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235
    The problem is, I really don't have the time or the disk space to sample each track individually. What I don't understand is why my computer can't keep up with it even though it not only meets but thoroughly surpasses the minimal system requirements listed on the box. Heck, I even tried killing all other unnecessary processes. I tried giving gpo and cakewalk real time priority. I tried giving them high priority. I tried running it in asio mode, (which made things worse). And either way, even when I am down to one track, I still get the tempo fluxuations.
    Hi again,
    I do know how you feel. I've done all of the things that you've done too...with no success. I have the same problem. (except for the tempo thing...) Do you have all of the updates for Sonar? I think that there's a tempo fix in one of those, though I could be imagining things too. I've only been able to get results by rendering each track separately (even though I'd of course prefer not to have to). Maybe someone here will know. I offered the only solution that I have.
    Good luck (maybe we'll both learn something)
    Steph

Its a shame to because it really does sound nice. About the only thing I would say I am not impressed with is the ambience reverb engine. The concert hall setting sounds like a room where the walls are made out of metal.

My system has the following specs

AMD 64 3 ghz
    2.5 GB ram
    Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi
    Windows XP Pro Service Pack II

I am trying to play one of my orchestral compositions through GPO. Heres the problem, in some of the parts where the entire orchestra is playing (these are very complex parts), my computer will studder and for whatever reason, durring playback, the tempo fluxuates unpredictably and uncontrolably. Basicly my system behaves as if it lacks the resources necessary to run GPO. Now, based on the above listed system specs, I highly doubt thats the case. However no matter how I configure GPO, My Creative Labs Drivers, or Cakewalk Sonar, I can't get it to play back properly. Bare in mind, in sparser sections of the piece of music it plays fine. Its just when all the voices are playing. Could you please help me with this.
    musicalmike235,

Try raising the buffers on your soundcard to at least 1,024 and see that helps. Also, on the Ambience reverb, reduce the CPU/Quality knob. Doing these things should help with the stuttering. For Ambience it sounds like you have the wet signal too high and try atenuating it or adding more dry signal to see if that provides better ambience.

Happy Holidays,

Gary Garritan

My IO buffers are already set to 2048. Decreasing the wet signal nullified the ambience reverb engine (IE, I couldn't even tell it was running). A little back ground information, I am hosting GPO in Garritan Studio, and I am actually using an older version of cakewalk sonar (version 4.5 to be percise). Don't get me wrong, in the sparser parts, the library sounds beautiful. I have never heard trumpets that actually sounded like trumpets; I love the flexibility and control I have over the french horns; And the strings are superb; just to name a few things. I just REALLY wish I didn't have to record the individual tracks one at a time to get around this little problem.

PS. By the way Garry, I was the one that called you asking if GPO worked in Cakewalk, just incase you remember, sorry for mispronouncing your name.

My IO buffers are already set to 2048. Decreasing the wet signal nullified the ambience reverb engine (IE, I couldn't even tell it was running). A little back ground information, I am hosting GPO in Garritan Studio, and I am actually using an older version of cakewalk sonar (version 4.5 to be percise). Don't get me wrong, in the sparser parts, the library sounds beautiful. I have never heard trumpets that actually sounded like trumpets; I love the flexibility and control I have over the french horns; And the strings are superb; just to name a few things. I just REALLY wish I didn't have to record the individual tracks one at a time to get around this little problem.

PS. By the way Garry, I was the one that called you asking if GPO worked in Cakewalk, just incase you remember, sorry for mispronouncing your name.
    Oh! I see that you're running the Studio. Try to use it as a VST or DXi. Also, try to add the ambiance to your final mix (on the Bus) instead of the individual tracks, you might get more mileage that way too. Just a few more thoughts - It might help.

I would also recommend using one of the reverbs that come with Sonar. The Lexicon or Sonitus ones (which I don't remember were in 4.5) only use 2-3% CPU on my system whereas the Ambience one uses 25%! Also, if you have dense piano, harp, celeste or timpani parts which can have high polyphony counts, then I recommend to bounce these to audio. The newer versions of Sonar allow you to freeze the tracks which is much easier to do than bouncing tracks.

If you're running out of hard disk space, pickup another hard drive. You can get decent size drives between $50-$100.

Jim

Well, if I use the WDM/KS drivers, I can get rid of the studering, but I still get tempo fluxuations. Now, they are atleast tolerable providing that I am only doing a playback. But when I try to record in real time, the tempo fluxuations become too severe to ignore. I guess I should look on the bright side. My music has never sounded better, but it would be nice if I could record it for posterity.

Go Back to forum