• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ram disk

Ram disk

Is is possible to designate a ram disk in windows, load all the gigapiano sounds into the ram disk, then configure gigastudio to stream the samples from the ram disk rather that from the hard drive?

Winsted, CT

Re: Ram disk

I don\'t think Ramdisks are possible in Win95 on.

An interesting subject: I never tried that but could work. You can use any ram-disk specific application to create one virtual disk unit out of 1Gb Ram (let\'s say), then open Gigastudio and load the Gigapiano from the .GIG file located into the Ram-disk. That should work with no problems. The question is: will it be convenient to do so? Being not a dangerous operation I suggest you to give it a try. Consider that this trick (if working) will be useful only in certain situation, for example: you need a computer to load just the gigapiano and act as a piano module but the computer does not have fast streaming hard drives.

Best luck,

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Actually, since GigaStudio uses RAM for buffering, you would need a LOT of RAM to do this. It doesn\'t have any routines for re-allocating RAM as instrument storage/retrieval, so it would not treat such a scenario any differently than a discrete disk. Since nice fast RAM is more expensive than huge hard drives with big buffers, I wonder how cost effective such a move would really be. Certainly it would not be very RAM efficient, since GigaStudio can buffer a huge array of instruments in a GB of RAM as opposed to containing perhaps only one or two large instruments in the same RAM-disk situation at best. Overall, it just wouldn\'t be a very efficient use of a machine.

From my point of view too, I fully agree with what Bruce said: it won\'t be a great use of a machine (saved those specific needs I wrote about in my previous posts).

hope this helps,

Go Back to forum