• Register
  • Help

Topic: memory with JABB

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

memory with JABB

I don't know if the problem is JABB or Finale's 2007a, or that I don't have enough memory (I have 3G); but I'm having trouble entering more than five instruments of JABB in a score. I get a memory warning, then a crash. I never had this problem before. Should I be using "Lite". The score has 15 instruments.

Re: memory with JABB

You have plenty of memory for 15 instruments. The full big band demos I created used less than 1.5GB of memory. So, the problem is almost certainly elsewhere. You could try loading the Lite instruments as an experiment to see if you get the memory warning with them. If you are on PC you could bring up Windows Task Master (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and click on the Performance tab. You will be able to monitor RAM usage as you add instruments.

Tom

Hello all,

After many years, I finally committed and purchased JABB as part of the recent group buy. I'm a "power user" with Finale (version 1.0 vet) and have been using Reason and soundfonts for playback of big band charts with reasonable success.

So...I installed JABB and began to play with it...as expected the individual sounds show a lot of promise, BUT when I try to playback an existing big band score (a FinMac 2005b file), I get lots of digital artifacts (pops, sizzles), etc.with only a brass section loaded...or even with just saxophones and rhythm. I'm working on an iMac G5 with 1.25 GB of RAM...

I've tried opening up the latency both in Garritan Jazz (which I assume also affects GPO Studio since there is nowhere to adjust latency in the GPO Studio preferences) AND opened up the latency all the way in my digital audio interface. Hmm...maybe that's part of the issue?

In the above post, Tom Hopkins mentioned that he did all those great sounding JABB demos with less than 1.5 GB of RAM, so I'm hoping there's a solution available with my current rig. If not, I'm suppose I'm willing to spend to bread to max out my RAM to 2 GB if that will cure the problem.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received. I would love to make JABB part of my regular toolkit if possible.

Thanks and best wishes for a great 2007,
    Eric Richards

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    You have plenty of memory for 15 instruments. The full big band demos I created used less than 1.5GB of memory. So, the problem is almost certainly elsewhere. You could try loading the Lite instruments as an experiment to see if you get the memory warning with them. If you are on PC you could bring up Windows Task Master (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and click on the Performance tab. You will be able to monitor RAM usage as you add instruments.

Tom
    Thank you Tom, I'll try that. I have an xpc computer and for some reason they left out all virtual memory when they configured the computer. I just became aware of that recently. Maybe I should add the recommended amount, but I'll try the "lite" and monitor with the task manager as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrich
    So...I installed JABB and began to play with it...as expected the individual sounds show a lot of promise, BUT when I try to playback an existing big band score (a FinMac 2005b file), I get lots of digital artifacts (pops, sizzles), etc.with only a brass section loaded...or even with just saxophones and rhythm. I'm working on an iMac G5 with 1.25 GB of RAM...
    You don't mention your CPU clock speed. JABB is one of the most deeply programmed libraries on the market and all of those controllers for various aspects of sound manipulation come at a price in CPU stress. For instance, the demos I created were done on a 2.4Ghz PC in Sonar and I had to "freeze" at least one of the 4 JABB instances (usually the rhythm section) to play the arrangements in realtime. A second 3Ghz PC was up to the task of all instruments at once, but just barely. Replacing the majority of inner parts with "Lite" instruments reduced the CPU strain significantly. Users may find that it is both more efficient for the CPU and RAM to pick and choose just where to use the full-featured instruments in an arrangement unless they have an extremely fast computer.

I've tried opening up the latency both in Garritan Jazz (which I assume also affects GPO Studio since there is nowhere to adjust latency in the GPO Studio preferences) AND opened up the latency all the way in my digital audio interface. Hmm...maybe that's part of the issue?
    Larger buffer settings can help on playback but it depends, in part, on how well written the driver for the soundcard is.

In the above post, Tom Hopkins mentioned that he did all those great sounding JABB demos with less than 1.5 GB of RAM, so I'm hoping there's a solution available with my current rig. If not, I'm suppose I'm willing to spend to bread to max out my RAM to 2 GB if that will cure the problem.
    Well, 2GB will certainly give you room to load all standard instruments and it could improve performance in general by affording the OS and host application more RAM, above and beyond that taken by the instruments. It might be easier to first try the mixture of Standard and Lite instruments to see if that mitigates the problem before going to the expense and trouble of adding the extra RAM. That said, more RAM is definitely better.

Tom

Hey, one thing that has almost never been mentioned in the various troubleshooting threads: Networking and Wi-Fi. Turn them off. I found out the hard way with my laptop that these cause interrupts in the audio data. Glitches with them on, no glitches with them off.

Also, a reminder: The present K1.5 player is not compatible with hyperthreading on many systems. Try disabling it if you are experiencing glitching that is not improved by the usual tweaks.

Tom

So true Tom, I noticed my CPU utilization drifting up and down when I had Sonar running, but not playing or recording anything. I disabled my network and WiFi and the fluctuations went away.

The interesting thing is that the CPU didn't fluctuate in the same way when Sonar was not running. Some weird issues between all those network/audio drivers I guess.

Cheers
    Kenny

Go Back to forum