• Register
  • Help

Topic: Humanizing playback...

Share/Bookmark

Humanizing playback...

Hi, all. Does anyone know a way of Humanizing playback in Sonar 6 Producer? Particularly I have a piano part that sounds very mechanical. It's in 3/4 and the accompaniment uses staccato eighth note chords or partial chords. I'm not a pianist so I played the parts in slowly, then quantized them and adjusted the velocities and took the life right out of it. But hey, at least I have the right notes and rhythms . The violin part using the Strad 2.0 sings! (Thanks Gary for the group buy!!!). BTW, the piece is Schubert's Stanchen D.957 (forgive me for leaving out the umlauts). Thanks and happy new year to all. ~Eric

Re: Humanizing playback...

One method I frequently use is to select the parts you want to humanize and then quantize to the appropriate value (1/8, 1/16 - whatever you minimum note value is in the piece) using 92-95% accuracy instead of the default 100%. That will shift the attack (note-on) timing a little bit and will sound much more lifelike. Remember, Sonar allows you to audition your quantization before you do it, and if you don't like the results, then you can always undo it with Cntrl+Z or Edit/Undo.

I'm unclear about what you did to the velocities, but hopefully they're not all the same. It's a sad fact that to achieve a really realistic performance, you generally have to do a lot of very tedious tweaking. how much you are willing to do is up to you.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Thanks for your reply. I started quantizing with 95%. Maybe I'll move it down a bit. As for velocities, I drew them in to correct some of my heavyhandedness. The piece starts at pp. Unfortunately that makes all the notes in the chord that occur at the same time the same velocity. Oh well. ~Eric

Sonar comes with some MIDI plug-ins which allow you to add a random offset to both the quantization and velocity settings. Those would be worth checking out.

I've sometimes quantized a performance to 95% percent accuracy with a random offset setting of 10% or so. Experiment to find some settings that work for you.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by ofafeather
    Thanks for your reply. I started quantizing with 95%. Maybe I'll move it down a bit. As for velocities, I drew them in to correct some of my heavyhandedness. The piece starts at pp. Unfortunately that makes all the notes in the chord that occur at the same time the same velocity. Oh well. ~Eric
    You can edit the velocities of individual notes in a chord. This can be done from Piano Roll, Notation, or Event List, whichever you're more comfortable with. You have access to everything that's been recorded, midi-wise, in that track.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

It is very tedious and a lot of work, but I manually vary the start times of individual notes and chords in the Sonar 6 Piano Roll view. I also adjust velocities and volume in the same view.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Eric:

I've been using Franks Midi Plugs' "Humanize" and it works very nicely. Lots of control. You can find it here.

http://www.midi-plugins.de/

The set also comes with some other nice midi plugs.

HTH

Paul
    AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
    XP Pro 2GB Ram
    80GB OS, 160GB Audio, 320GB Samples
    Delta 66 Omni Sonar 5PE GPO, JABB

Go Back to forum