• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ballad of Zephorous

Ballad of Zephorous

Hello Everyone!
    I am 16 years old, and have been using GPO for about 6 months now. I just want to say that this community is absolutely amazing! Everyone here is so dedicated and I am so glad to now be a part of it.

As of right now, I am preparing a portfolio for my application to Grammy Camp this year, and I am looking for some feedback from you guys, here is one song that I am considering putting in. It is an exerpt from a dance that I scored for my high school's production of Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses. I hope you all enjoy!

Re: Ballad of Zephorous

I agree, I am now noticing the trouble with the stereo sound. I panned hard for the theatre space and did not have time to mix it again. I will do that right now and update the song. Thanks again!

Paris, France

It is very charming, Jeremy
    I agree with Stephen's comments about the mixing, but I really love the juxtaposition of the sweetness of the flute etc. in contrast to the more "ominous" percussion.
    Interesting, your reflections on stereo imaging.. depending on the size of the theatre of course, it is usual not to use too much hard panning.. the only people who get the benefit of it are those sitting in the centre seats.. anyone sitting near the side may very well not hear the other side at all, especially if there's a brass section blaring away just a few feet away!
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Yes, that is totally true for a proscenium stage, most of the time.

The advantage of Metamorphoses is the opportunity to use hard panning.
    If you are not familiar with the play, the set contains a full pool of water onstage. Our approach to lessen the "Splash Zone" effect and move the audience back. This came to a great advatage to our wide proscenium, and gave a great stereo sound no matter where you sat in the audience!

I suggest, if someone were to write a play score, it should be Metamorphoses. There is only one out as of right now and it is not too great. It is an extremely fun show to score, and is very popular too. So if you wanna make sum bucks off your songs, find someone who is doing Metamorphoses and start creating a soundtrack.

Yeah, I updated the song! So there is no more problems with the stereo mixing. (It is the same link)

Welcome aboard, Jeremy!

And nice work on this... a fine start. Perhaps
    you might consider expanding the idea and
    taking it a little further.

My best,

Yes, thank you. I am now getting so overwhelmed on how long some pieces are here in the listening room. I better get up to speed!

Hi there... Well, your off to a great start. Right away I hear your sensitivity and attention to emotion or drama. Your construction and theory seem fine... Like David, I too would want to expand on this. Your main themes have so much more potential. But please, relax... you don't have to "get up to speed" for us... just enjoy what you are doing and never compare yourself... Find your own voice... give it time to find you... I hope all of us here can help to encourage you... Welcome to the forum...

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. I am really looking forward to expanding this piece now that it is done with the use of the play.

Go Back to forum