• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cymbal Sample Library

Cymbal Sample Library

Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good cymbal library that has swells and rolls and other cymbal effects. I already have BFD and the Deluxe Xpansion pack, and it is very disappointing that it is nearly impossible to get a good cymbal swell with those. 10 years ago I remember Paiste having a 3 CD set of most of their Cymbals, but I can't seem to hunt them down anywhere. I have found various Cymbal libraries of Sabian and others, but the are all single strike at various velocities. Anyway, just looking for a nice dry Cymbal library with articulations.

Re: Cymbal Sample Library

Meanwhile you found what you want, you can try the Sonic Implants free cymball roll soundfont. It`s nice and useable.
    They appear to have what you want in their Symphonic Percussion Collection, but the price.
    Marcelo Colina

I should mention that I primarily work in Kontakt on a Mac. I downloaded the cymbal roll but it is an .exe file which mac people can't do anything with. They didn't have the cymbal roll in their free Kontakt file list.

Quote Originally Posted by mason
    Anyway, just looking for a nice dry Cymbal library with articulations.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Bob Clearmountain Drums-II imported into Kontakt:

The only place I can find them now is East-West (go to the sounds online homepage and then):

There are 16 separate cymbals each with crescendo rolls. They are stick rolls, and, although well played, not soft-mallet orchestral rolls. I don't do a lot of in-the-box orchestras, so they work fine for me.
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

Another source of good cymbal rolls is Peter Erskin's "Living Drums" CD.

Granted, it's over 10 years old now, but there is a good bit of cymbal sample material in there, and the cymbal rolls are varied enough in length, as well as sticks and mallets, that it's been a staple set of cymbal rolls I usually go to.

And I'll second the Clearmountain 2 recommendation as well.

Go Back to forum