• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Very First Orchestration

Share/Bookmark

My Very First Orchestration

Hello All,

Well, I bought GPO a couple of weeks ago and decided to do "Oh Holy Night" as my first project. I did an arrangement of a nice midi that I found on the web years ago.

You will easily see that I have no idea what I'm doing as far as articulating the instruments, but I thought I would post this to find out from you what I should work on to make it sound better.

I think I have to make the strings more legatto, but I don't yet know how to do that. Also, I'm experiencing some distortion, which I have yet to figure out.

P4 3 Ghz
    1GB RAM
    Cakewalk Home Studio XL
    9 Instruments in 5 instances of the KontaKt player

Thanks for any input as to what order I should attack the problems. And I offer my sincere apologies if I posted this prematurely.

Brian
    EDIT: Link now points to a low fidelity version so Mom (on dialup) can give a listen.
    www.carabeecomputers.com/o_holy_night.htm

Re: My Very First Orchestration

Welcome to the forum, Brian!

Off to a good start with this, Brian; like any
    fine instrument, it takes time and experience
    and work to gain excellence.

Generally, distortion results from too high a
    level, so you might reduce your levels a bit.

Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi, great work... Please keep experimenting with the GPO package... in time you will learn different techniques for achieving the right sound. For example, I like to overlap my Marcato strings with my Legato for a stronger attack and smoother finish on some melody lines...
    Your off to a great start, please keep posting....

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Welcome to the forum, Brian!

Off to a good start with this, Brian; like any
    fine instrument, it takes time and experience
    and work to gain excellence.

Generally, distortion results from too high a
    level, so you might reduced your levels a bit.

Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for the reply, David. I took your advice and remixed at lower levels and it does sound much better.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    The scoring seems fine to me - the levels are out of kilter - way too hot - you have to remember that each instrument or section added increases the volume.

Do you have a sequncer/recorder? If so then you can use that to "mix" the instruments and find the balance between them that you are looking for. For a first time out of the box - you didn't do too bad!

As far as articulations and such - that comes with working with the package for a while - experimenting and a bit of time in the MIDI editor to smooth out velocities, overlaps, etc... and getting comfortable with your control devices.
    Thanks, Stephen. I remixed and in the process got much more comfortable with setting levels. I acheived a mix that I'm satisfied with. Now I'm going to start working with articulations. I appreciate your input and encouragement.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Hi, great work... Please keep experimenting with the GPO package... in time you will learn different techniques for achieving the right sound. For example, I like to overlap my Marcato strings with my Legato for a stronger attack and smoother finish on some melody lines...
    Your off to a great start, please keep posting....

Michael
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the encouragement! I visited your site and was very impressed with your stuff. Great idea regarding overlapping the Marcato with Legato. I'll definitely experiment with that.

I look forward to learning from you and the other folks on this forum.

Brian

If you have any other questions please let me know...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum