• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: $Mft

Share/Bookmark

$Mft

Something in my system is causing windows to close before it saves all the information. E:\$Mft. Message "this data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. In running the CHKSCAN programs for the C (operating) D (audio) and F (raid sample) drives, all verify. The DVD disc says it is operating normally. There is no internet connection.

The effect is that on rebooting my system, and opening Giga3 with a .gsp,, a pop-up window lists a group of instruments (not always the same) that are missing and recommends I re-install those instruments before going on.

When checking the disks in My Computer the audio drive and the raid drive are not there.

After rebooting once or twice, one of the missing drives will come back. Again rebooting a few times, the other drive will also come back. This process takes a couple of hours, allowing the machine to idle between reboots.

In the BIOS the Raid configuration is enabled.

Another recurring message gives me this: BC1 code as - c0000218. BC2,3,4 are all hexidecimal 0s.

Can anyone decode this and suggest how to track down the casue of Windows being forced to shut down before it compoetes its saving task?

Jamiha

This is a dedicated DAW built by a TASCAM recommended dealer.
    Pentium D2
    Windows XP
    2G ram
    the five drives mentioned above
    Cubase 3
    WaveLab
    Giga3 Orchestra
    Sample libraries

Re: $Mft

Both issues you are having are pointing to a failing hard drive. The first error is with the Master File Table. The C0000218 error is a corrupted registry file. This would point to either a failing hard drive or a bad hard drive controller.

Jim

Haydn

Thank you for that input. How do I sniff out the offending hard drive? Could there be a problem with the DVD drive as well?

Agqain, thanks

jamiha

Haydn

Thank you for that reply. Do you know how I can sniff out the offending drive?

Jamiha

Many of the hard drive manufacturer's have diag disks available that boot from a floppy disk or CD. It's possible that a disk was included with your PC. Otherwise you'll need a working PC to download the diags and make a disk on.

Jim

Go to Start button>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer> look at >Application,Security ect to see what errors if any it shows.

I would also suggest keeping the task manager open (right click on bottom bar in windows and select task manager) and looking at processes running to see if you can spot it there.

You may also have a virus or spyware problem.
    Could also be a registry problem. PCtools.com has a pretty sophisticated registry diagnostic program. I would not recommend altering your registry without some sort of software support from a registry diagnostic program. I believe they have a free trial.

From a command prompt you can run chkdsk/f and it will check your drive for errors and fix them..or you can do this from my computer..right click on my computer ..or disk management
    Could also be a corrupt partition..which is where you boot config resides.
    You could also google for a hexidecimal reader..if you have a spare computer to go online..

Thanks to you both for taking the time to sort this out with me. Today's episode is that I cannot get the computer to open beyond the blue screen c0000218.

I will look into the diagnostics suggested.

Thank you again,
    jamiha

You also might try using system restore to restore your computer to the last date it worked ok.
    Power supply adequate? Two hard drives and a newer video card implies a 400 watt power supply.maybe 650 watts if you have an sli video card...Also your cpu could be hot..or your hard drive could be overheated..case fan working? cpu fan working?you can see what it is in bios usually under the power option in bios. Do you have a boot diskett to restart the computer? Can you see any leaking or bulging tops or sides on capacitors on the mother board..google for improper shutdown

I agree with Haydn a failing disk is most likely. However, be aware it could also be failing RAM (or both).

Thanks to all of you for your input.
    I have installed a new OS hard drive. the result is : I can boot up to the DW5P2 Premium screen where the computer freezes. After allowing time between re-booting I can get the same thing. Rarely, I can get to the Windows desktop. Sometimes the Audio and Raid drives will show up in My Computer. Sometimes they will show one or the other. At NO time can I open Giga 3 without the computer freezing, which results in a manual re-boot. I think I tried opening Cubase separately as well with the same freezing results- but there's been so many reboots, I'm not sure. After that, I get back to the DW5P2 Premium screen, which can take hours or days of rebooting to allow me to see the Windows desktop one more time - which works the same way as above. It has settled down to just what I have described - nothing more.

I do not have a floppy disk drive. I am not connected to the internet.

Question - will a new motherboard solve my problem?

Second question - is the processor on the motherboard hard wired in or can it be changed separately to see if that is the problem?

Will appreciate any human flash memory insight that might apply,

tony

Go Back to forum