• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: EWQLSO & Intel compatibility

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO & Intel compatibility

Have just upgraded to an Intel iMac having found out that my old PowerPC iMac did not support an extended desktop!

This was bad enough, but now am encountering all sorts of issues with Intel compatibility, which I knew about, but had perhaps foolishly assumed would not be a real issue.

The most pertinent is East West Symphony Orchestra - Gold Edition.

I cannot find any conclusive answers as to how to make this Intel Compatible, with East West's website directing me to Native Instruments (re the Kontakt issue) and Native Instruments saying I should go back to the third party (ie East West).

I would really appreciate somebody conclusively explaining to me what I need to do to get EWQLSO Gold to work on my Intel please asap!

Many thanks in advance

Re: EWQLSO & Intel compatibility

If you want Gold to work on your new Mac (or any of their Kompakt player products) you'll need to get Kontakt 2.2. NI has disconinued Kompakt and won't be updating it. If you don't want to get K2 then you could wait, East West is making their own custom player that Doug said they'll be showing at NAMM. But if you need it sooner rather than later K2 is your only option right now.

The Gold plug in does run under Rosetta, however I wouldn't expect to get more than a few voices out of it before you run into problems, also a non-Intel plug in won't run in a sequencer that is universal binary, so if you do decide to try and run it under Rosetta you'd also have to run your sequencer under Rosetta, which I heard of people doing with DP but I don't think it works for Logic.
    Tim

I have to say, I find the fact that my product has been rendered obsolete, with no immediate solution, rather hard to swallow also. I realise I am not alone, but can't quite understand how East West or Native Instruments can get away with charging you money, merely for an update so that their product works with current technology. After all, Intel is hardly niche, no?

When you say East West will be showing their new player at NAMM, does this mean it will be available immediately (ie from the end of this month?)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Caro
    I have to say, I find the fact that my product has been rendered obsolete, with no immediate solution, rather hard to swallow also. I realise I am not alone, but can't quite understand how East West or Native Instruments can get away with charging you money, merely for an update so that their product works with current technology. After all, Intel is hardly niche, no?

When you say East West will be showing their new player at NAMM, does this mean it will be available immediately (ie from the end of this month?)
    I'm afraid that laying the blame at NI or EW is passing the buck. There is no problem with your product on PC, so it is a Mac problem. You have to lay the blame firmly at the door of Apple. When it doesn't work with Vista then I will be in the same situation. How can you possibly expect to pay for a product and then expect it to work with all future technologies, even those not yet invented? It doesn't make sense. There are many products that don't work on MacIntel, and will never do so until the next (paid) update.

D

Goodness.

Frankly, I'm not really interested in who to point the finger at, more a lowly composer, who just wants my equipment to work....

And to not have to pay for it twice...

And don't really care whose fault it is, as long as someone sorts it out.

Anyway, the question I need answered is that relating to NAMM, ie will there be a working version available by the end of January? Anybody?

Having recently been in the same situation with a Mac Pro and as a user of lots and lots of EW stuff, I can say that you'll be glad you got Kontakt 2 not only for the EW compatibility, but also all the stuff that comes bundled with K2.

EW is working on their own player for their plugins. My understanding is that it will be available as an upgrade for $49.

I know it's a bummer when we have to pay to upgrade stuff, but that's really part of this business. I was a PC Logic orphan, and finally upgraded to a Mac Pro and Logic 7. The total cost ended up being around 5K, but very much worth it all in the long run.

I don't have Kontakt 2 though, I have Kompakt which is now obsolete.

I'd love to be able to use Kontakt, but am afraid I can't afford it (isn't it around £300?) Even if it does come bundled with loads of stuff as you say.

I guess I'll just have to hope that the EW player will be user friendly and good quality like the old Kompakt player.

Any ideas on exactly when it will be ready though, as they only mention showing it at NAMM and not when it will be available to download?

Thanks

No doubt the new player will be great. Those guys are working to make sure it perfect before they release. I don't think they've said when it will be available. Hopefully soon!!!!

Cool website BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Caro
    I'd love to be able to use Kontakt, but am afraid I can't afford it (isn't it around £300?) Even if it does come bundled with loads of stuff as you say.
    You can crossgrade from your Kompakt Player for 229 Euros.
    System: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+, 4Gb RAM, Windows XP Pro
    Hard Drives: 320Gb, 3 x 300Gb, 500Gb
    Soundcard: M-Audio Audiophile 192
    Host: Cubase 4.5.2

Well, much as post-christmas, I simply don't have even £150 to spare, that is certainly cheaper than I thought. And this is a simple crossgrade you say, that I presumably can just download/buy now?

And it comes with all the wonderful extras you mentioned before? What are these exactly....are we talking samples or extra functionality?

Thanks for your ongoing help btw!

Go Back to forum