• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic Express vs Digital Performer

Share/Bookmark

Logic Express vs Digital Performer

I'm thinking of switching from Logic Express to Digital Performer mostly because of how Logic handles plug-ins. Any comments about DP as a viable alterative to Logic? I guess I wouldn't be able to use my Jam Packs in DP though huh?

Re: Logic Express vs Digital Performer

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I'm thinking of switching from Logic Express to Digital Performer mostly because of how Logic handles plug-ins. Any comments about DP as a viable alterative to Logic? I guess I wouldn't be able to use my Jam Packs in DP though huh?
    Hi,
    In what way does Logic differ from DP in the way it handles plug-ins?

Really, Logic and DP do the same thing although they may go about it in different ways. The graphical user interfaces are very different and it may take some time to get up to speed with DP. DP suited me, with its more old-school approach while Logic still confuses me (- it began life as a midi sequencer and the influence remains). Conversely, others I know who are Logic users have trouble adapting to DP.

As for the obvious differences, DP is perhaps slanted towards cutting to pictures (certainly with the release of DP5) but Logic has better features as an all in package (I also know many Logic users who compose to pictures very succesfuly).

I'm not sure about Jam Packs, - perhaps it's a special Apple only integration but you would be able to drag any audio files into a DP project. I'd be surprised if Jam Packs don't allow this, but browsing and auditioning the sounds may be less convenient.

Hope this helps with your decision!

Steve

I don't do loops so I can't speak to that, but I just spent the afternoon yesterday converting jampack instruments to Kontakt format for use in DP.

Dave:

I was a logic user from its inception. Liked the MIDI features of the program, but when it didn't work well with GPO (at first), I switched mountains to climb and became a devotee of Digital Performer.

I NEVER LOOKED BACK.......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum